G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been re-reading some of my old magazines, just for something to do and I came across an advert for an MTH Southern Pacific C9 2-8-0.
Were many made and sold of this loco and more to the point how did they perform. The magazines I'm talking about were from the 1994/95 era and aside from these adverts I've not heard anything about them. It was available in kit form, RTR or electric.
The loco would make an excellent mate for my S-12 or AC-12.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the reply Charles. What a pity as it looks such a nice loco with the pix showing the backhead details etc.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
John,
There was a person here in British Columbia who was trying to make a batch of Harriman SP 2-8-0's a few years back.
Unfortunately it coincided with the Aster Mikado and I think he found it hard to compete as his were somewhat 'plainer' and more expensive, plus his abilities were unknown. I think that he sold one, and then gave up although he still has boxes of parts.
If you are interested I can contact him to see what goes on.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW! Looks like I've started something.

If you could please David it would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
To all those interested,
I have tried to contact the builder, but I have a feeling since it is Spring Break for schools here, that he may be away somewhere with his family, so please be patient and I will let you all know as soon as I can get an answer as to his plans with the Harriman 2-8-0's.
All the best,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
You mean Accucraft isn't going to build one of these? They have made everything else SP from Cab Forwards, Daylights, F4/5's, S12's, etc. Anyone check with Cliff. He once told me they were doing all the SP mainstream engines, Mountains, Moguls, Consolidations, TW's, Ten Wheelers and all. That is if you live long enough. They are also doing the NG SP #9 in 1:20 according to their web site.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Hi everyone,
Here is a photo of the Harriman 2-8-0 taken in St. Peters, Missouri at the Midwest Small Scale Steamup.
Regards

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Sorry, some of my message vanished there! 
I was editing in 'preview'!!!
This was the steamup in 2002.
The loco had just been finished, and Dan Pantages and I offered to take it with us to see what interest there might be for it.
From what I recall it ran very well.
All the best,

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By David Leech on 03/19/2009 1:56 PM
Sorry, some of my message vanished there!
I was editing in 'preview'!!!
This was the steamup in 2002.
The loco had just been finished, and Dan Pantages and I offered to take it with us to see what interest there might be for it.
From what I recall it ran very well.
All the best,

David, that doesn't look like any SP C9 that I have ever seen. Here is a like to what they really looked like.

http://espee.railfan.net/sp_steam_c-09-1.html

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
David, that doesn't look like any SP C9 that I have ever seen.  Here is a like to what they really looked like. 

Hi John,
You obviously know more about them than I do.
I never actually said that he was building the C-9, I just said that it was a Harriman 2-8-0.
I have no idea which class he was building, but perhaps you can tell me the SP classification.
All the best,

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I have just talked with the builder and he said to please pass on his name and information, so:
The builders name is Philip Macdonald, who lives in New Westminster, British Columbia.
He can be contacted by email at: [email protected]
His price is around $6500 Canadian, which currently is about $5500 US.
He has one loco finished and available, and another 2/3 complete and will be pleased to send you photos.
I want to make it clear that I have no connection with Philip or his locomotives, other than as an acquaintance.
All the best,

·
Registered
57 Posts
David,

Thanks for the info - I'll contact Phil directly...

By the way - David, I am still very satisfied with the Daylight cars you built for me back in 2001, however, after that many years the diaphragm of the articulated coach has suffered a bit. Do you have any spares available?

Michael Fueg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many thanks for the info David. Message sent from here as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
John,

I also checked my files, and here's what I found:

Von Modellbahn
Later in 2000 I received this e-mail:

Von Modellbahn

Looks like this old project of the Whistestop and the production of Phil are two different approaches...
Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts