G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local club, the Big Lick Big Train Operators, held what may be the final outdoor meeting for year 2008. We may have another meeting in early November, but are not sure whether the weather will allow us to meet outdoors.

Our host was Otto Hartenstein, of Blacksburg, VA. While the attendance was low, those of us who came had a wonderful time running and watching trains on Otto's beautiful garden railroad. I have enclosed two photos of my mine train running on Otto's layout.

Yours,
David Meashey
Roanoke, VA

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Steeeeve;

Since you live in southwest Virginia, would you like to attend one of our meetings sometime? The next one will be in Wythville. Karen just finished her pond, so no track down as yet. But her husband Tom's HO layout is world-class. I don't have a date as yet, but it will be early in November. Email me if you are interested.

We usually start up again in March, if you can't make November.

Yours,

David Meashey

Roanoke, VA

·
Registered
85 Posts
I actually live in Richmond and travel to blacksburg for the football and basketball games sometimes (2x VT Alumni). Wythville might be a little out of the way but, as far as I know, Richmond doesn't have any G Scale modeling clubs.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think you are correct about no club in the Richmond area. Many years ago there were a few folks from Richmond who belonged to the Tidewater club, but I am not sure if they are still in the hobby.

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a professor at VT who's husband was into G scale railroading...this wasn't the same place was it? I can't remember her name but she is a marketing professor

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Otto is a retired architect, and his wife, Imtraut, worked in the health care industry. We did have a high-level VT security officer attend a few meetings several years ago, but I never heard what his wife did. There are a lot of people interested in large scale in this area who just do their own thing, they have no interest in joining a club. Even one as loosely organized as the BLBTOs.

That's why I always try to offer an invitation to attend a club meeting when a post seems to come from our local area.

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Registered
85 Posts
I apprecaite the invite. If you don't mind, keep me informed about upcoming meetings and if I am around I'll be sure to stop by. I'm very new to the hobby (financee calls it a "wannabe hobby" right now) but I have attended a few shows and got my Garden Railroads magizine. Just waiting for the money to come in before I start!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts