G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the next project. Don't hold your breath, it'll be a while till it's done. Like Tank Engine #3, I'm producing a full set of plans, available to all. The process videos will still be detailed but not as much as before. The basic stuff will be skipped over, or I may talk concept and strategy rather than step by step (if you need that, just compare your part to something in Tank Engine #3). I have two drawing sets completed as of now but only one built. The drive wheel set is first. I'll be posting one chapter per day. Plans available here: Public Plans - Google Drive

·
Registered
13 Posts
So great to see someone paying attention to number 18. I fully support your project. Looking forward to see it develop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, if there is a hole in your info/pics let me know as I have a bit of info on this loco/tender.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I'm after any scrap of information I can get. I live over 2,000 miles away from SP18 so I can't just take measurements whenever I like. I bought these two books for this project and have a copy of every good and terrible photo available from Google. Before making the next drawing sets, I'll post images here of my CAD model and perhaps you can critique. If you have any CAD software, or even a CAD viewer, I can send just about any file type needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beautiful job on your drivers. I'm in the process of having driver centers made from solid models done in Solidworks. Can't wait to get them. Can't really do much more on the frame without them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Cool! I put a lot of thought into coming up with a process that would actually work "when the cutters (rubber) meets the metal (road)". Shapeways stainless/bronze material is ideal for being (relatively) inexpensive but it's yellowish in color, no biggie for areas being painted but a problem for the tires which I really really really wanted to be grey/silver. Also, the stainless/bronze material absolutelly cannot be cut with HSS tools. A real problem for doing the tread profile. As such, I went down the "wheel & tire" route rather than the "solid wheel" route. When I have the next model ready I'll send you a file. I'm running SolidWorks 2019.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's it on postings for now. Though of course I'll continue to check for replys. Next up for the garage is the Axle Pump (that drawing is complete) but before that I have some upgrades to the lathe to be completed. They shouldn't take too long, but hey, that's what happens when you buy a new lathe and then immediately chuck it into the deep end (of a 5 year project). I did a bunch of work on it when it first arrived but with me getting to know it better a few more issue have surfaced. See you later,

~Sean

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Sean. I'm planning on "blackening" the driver centers and turning my own tires out of some steel tubing I got on ebay. And Shapeways did not produce an acceptable master for me. Went to Pacific Locomotive Works for all my wheels.

royce

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sean
I may have missed this but what material are you using for your tires
I probably didn't mention it in the process video because that information is in the drawing set (see page 4 and page 16). I used 2.375 OD .25 wall low carbon steel pipe sourced from Online Metals.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hi Sean. I'm planning on "blackening" the driver centers and turning my own tires out of some steel tubing I got on ebay. And Shapeways did not produce an acceptable master for me. Went to Pacific Locomotive Works for all my wheels.

royce
Interesting, I'm curious what was wrong. I actually made 8 wheels. One failed attempt at combining wheel and tire into a single print, one complete prototype wheel minus the paint and the six that will end up on the finished locomotive. The prototype helped me dial in my process for best results. There was also one print I messed up on during the machining, so perhaps 9 depending on how you count. Anyway, in my case the prints were all pretty consistent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you. I'm after any scrap of information I can get. I live over 2,000 miles away from SP18 so I can't just take measurements whenever I like. I bought these two books for this project and have a copy of every good and terrible photo available from Google. Before making the next drawing sets, I'll post images here of my CAD model and perhaps you can critique. If you have any CAD software, or even a CAD viewer, I can send just about any file type needed.
View attachment 62082
View attachment 62082
Interesting, I'm curious what was wrong. I actually made 8 wheels. One failed attempt at combining wheel and tire into a single print, one complete prototype wheel minus the paint and the six that will end up on the finished locomotive. The prototype helped me dial in my process for best results. There was also one print I messed up on during the machining, so perhaps 9 depending on how you count. Anyway, in my case the prints were all pretty consistent.
View attachment 62082
Hello Sean .... quite the project!
Wonder if these old drawing would be of any help to you?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts