G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here's some recent work on #3, I've been working on another couple of items in the meantime and planning the next steps. On Youtube is a guy called Pafnunitj who is doing incredible work on a fully scratchbuilt 1:24 San Francisco Cable Car, I've been watching over and over again his roofing work and it may have given me the inspiration on how to make my roof. Nuff said for now, here's the pics.

I painted the underframe with a satin paint giving that old school hand painted work.

NG PASSENGER 3 24 by taylorplains, on Flickr

The floor attached to the tope of the frame with some rebating on the edges to fit the ends + sides rebate.

NG PASSENGER CAR 3 25 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Test fitting of the fixed subframe with the upper body work.

NG PASSENGER 3 26 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Also thanks to Pafnutij, he's given me the inspiriation to make the bench seats.

More to follow shortly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Scott. Nice project. I'm amazed at how nice the prints come out. I can't get that kind of output for my life! I'm looking forward to the next installment.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Cheers mate, I'm learning as I'm going and also pushing my skills to the next level and on that note. Here is my latest progress.

I've been looking at how to do the wood grain finish on the interior of the car and it has taken a while as really there is nothing. My approach has been to cherry pick a number of techniques and combine them into what I require.

NG PASSENGER 3 27 by taylorplains, on Flickr

So firstly the interior needed to be painted to set the base colour and provide the background. This was followed up by masking the trim edges so they and the doors could be painted by hand.

Once dry, that masking was removed in order mask the trim in preparation of lining and painting. To create the edges of the boards I used a regular colouring pencil sharpened to a fine point and lines drawn with straightedge at half foot spacings.

I mixed paint to get as close to the honey gold brown timber look and that took about 3 goes before having something close to I was happy with. That was drybrushed in long strokes onto the surface about as far down to just past where the top of the benches will go. To get that glossy varnish look I'll use a spray lacquer afterwards.

NG PASSENGER 3 28 by taylorplains, on Flickr

The results turned out better than expected.

More to follow.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts