G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a early passenger vehicle I've wanted to model for a while. I actually started this project prior to starting the ON, but just worked on and off when I was stuck on something. Now that the ON is done I'm moving on.

I've scaled most of the details from the plans, I took more pics at the Port Dock Museum when Harvey and Judy were travelling through.

I saved the plan as a DXF and loaded it into Sketchup and scaled off the frame, I then drew up the frame on paper in 1:24 to get an idea of the size.

NG PASSENGER 3 0 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Left angle shot of one end.

NG PASSENGER 3 1 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Right angle shot of the other end.

NG PASSENGER 3 2 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Interior shot showing off all of that cool woodwork.

NG PASSENGER 3 3 by taylorplains, on Flickr

This passenger car has a lot of character to it and should be a fun build.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice passenger car Scott, I didn't know the SAR had these and lucky one is preserved.(I must get to the Port Dock train museum one day) At first glance of the drawing I thought a straight forward build but the photo's showed it is quite a job what with the "sunshade" over roof and details as well as the wood interior. This will look good when finished and especially the timber interior and all you need now is a Beyer Peacock 2-6-0 Y class to go with it, like the one that pokes it's nose in view next to the coach in one of your photo's.
I just completed a 1:20 scale wooden kit of a Victorian Railways "Puffing Billy" narrow gauge combine coach with stained wood interior and added a few more interior details. Not scratch built like your magnificent models but satisfying to build anyway.
I can't wait to see your passenger car build in progress and finished.
Russell

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ferro - the SAR had 4 of these (1,2,3 & 5), all Second Class Passenger.

From what I've found out is that the first 2 were made in the UK, while the other 2 were built here by Adelaide Loco Works in 1877. In 1882 it was converted to a employee sleeping van - withdrawn from service in 1969 then given to the Railway Museum (which has now restored it back to it's original glory).

The construction is a metal base frame sitting on 4 W irons with axle boxes and leaf spring suspension. No brake system or air line on this one.

It has a timber frame upper structure that is timber clad (exterior) and lined (interior) with bench seats as well as drop down windows.. The double roof is sometimes referred to as a Tropical Roof, the design allowing airflow passively through the vehicle. Electrical lighting was fitted afterwards as it was (then) a emerging technology.

Originally this ran on the NG lines out of Port Pirie to places like Gladstone and Jamestown. Those hardwood timber seats were the height of luxury for second class passengers in the late 1800's, especially on a long haul trip during the height of an Aussie summer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin.

The Colonial roofing to my knowledge used a double roof system where the outer roof kept the sun off of the lower roof creating a temperature barrier. With the gap having airflow moving between both layers during travel and removing the heat lowering the internal temperature providing comfort. Add in the raised central part inside to add to the passive air conditioning.

If you look at the plan and pics on the external side, there are timber louvres mounted above the windows leading to the grilles internally above the windows creating an airflow as well. Even so in 40 degree plus summer weather it would have been a tad warm for travellers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, a very interesting innovation. Furthermore to that and it is something I did forgot to mention in a previous post. If you reference the plan and look at the roof there are two roof mounted items that are part of the ventilation system - they are metal cylinders that have holes in them and vent air via the central raised part of the roof. If I can some pictures of the I'll put them up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This model lends itself very well in in the construction aspect is that it can be made from brass, styrene, and wood. It can be hand made, laser cut, CNC and 3D printed.

I've gone for the 3D printing aspect to further push those skills and the technology available as the ON wagon worked out really well on the 3D printing. I've worked on this on and off since 2017, so now its time to push forwards to completion.

This is the pencil draft layout of the frame to get a idea of how it works.

NG PASSENGER 3 4 by taylorplains, on Flickr

This is the initial draft on Sketchup prior to checking and cleanup.

NG PASSENGER 3 5 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Completed underframe with platform supports added.

NG PASSENGER 3 6 by taylorplains, on Flickr

End platforms done.

NG PASSENGER 3 7 by taylorplains, on Flickr

More to follow shortly.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Scott, looks like it is going to be another great creation. I find your work very inspiring, not to mention your attention to detail. LiG

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers mate, I'm continually inspired by a number of modellers who create some beautiful work to a high standard - I feel I still have quite a way to go in that regards.

Placement of the platforms.

NG PASSENGER 3 8 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Close up of the platform, showing the coupler mount, coupler and drawbar support.

NG PASSENGER 3 9 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Underframe view showing the details - the coupler drawbar situation still needs sorting out. That will affect clearance on curves and switches.

NG PASSENGER 3 10 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Full underframe has been checked and small errors fixed.

NG PASSENGER 3 11 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Test fit of the end platform steps.

NG PASSENGER 3 12 by taylorplains, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Your computer modeling amazes me. That is a beautiful little coach and I will be fallowing it closely. I know that it will be superb.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks mate, with this model I'm really looking to making it very true to the prototype. With the 3d design I like to see how the model could look and also determine how my approach to the making of it would work.

Shown here is the initial upper body shell coming together. It's in a draft format at this stage and looking to see how it will fit together.

NG PASSENGER 3 13 by taylorplains, on Flickr

A later view of the ends and sides placed together - now it has more detail added, cleaned up, fault corrected as well as testing the look of the seats.

NG PASSENGER 3 14 by taylorplains, on Flickr

This a angled view of the body showing clearer detail of the windows, louvres, door and placement of the body mounted handrails.

NG PASSENGER 3 15 by taylorplains, on Flickr

This is a detailed end view showing the position of the end platform rail mounting holes.

NG PASSENGER 3 16 by taylorplains, on Flickr

More to follow shortly.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some more of the pre-print modelling work I did a couple of months ago, I did this to check placement and clean up mistakes.

This is a view of the handrails, flooring and seats without the walls plus ends getting in the way of the view.

NG PASSENGER 3 17 by taylorplains, on Flickr

This is the layout view showing alternating interior and exterior views.

NG PASSENGER 3 18 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Angle view of the model in colour, I do this to separate the build into sub-assemblies and to find out if I need to make other corrections.

NG PASSENGER 3 19 by taylorplains, on Flickr

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been saving my pennies for this and now (finally) they are here. I had Facfox print out the fame and the sides of the passenger car. I am very happy with the result so now it's onto the clean up before undercoating the parts.

Top view shows each end, one with interior and the other flipped over to show the exterior view. Central view is of the side exterior with the louvre detail. Bottom view is of the interior.

NG PASSENGER 3 20 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Top view of the underframe, showing the end platform detail, handrail holes and frame top.

NG PASSENGER 3 21 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Flipped over underframe showing the fine detail and cross bracing of the platform ends. I have made provision for the drawbar assembly and to link that with the central drawbar in time.

NG PASSENGER 3 22 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Dry fit of the components to see how well the print worked and to see if there is any warping.

NG PASSENGER 3 23 by taylorplains, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Scott,
Very impressive.
A couple of questions.
What type of material was it printed in?
Was it 'very' expensive to get it done this way?
I looked at their web site and couldn't find a 'maximum' size for printing. Do you know if there is?
Regards,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
David.

I used SLA Tough Resin and printed at 0.05mm resolution, grey primed and polished for the model. Max size bounding box for this is 1700mm x 900mm x 800mm (Huuuuge!) with minimum print size at 2mm x 2mm x 2mm. The finished item is very smooth with no lines and good fidelity for printing. However fine details may be brittle and could do with a bit of over engineering for durability.

Cost wise it was about $160 AUD and much much cheaper than Shapeways. Delivery time was good, compared to other makers they are a highly cost effective and good service.

Scott

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
David.

I used SLA Tough Resin and printed at 0.05mm resolution, grey primed and polished for the model. Max size bounding box for this is 1700mm x 900mm x 800mm (Huuuuge!) with minimum print size at 2mm x 2mm x 2mm. The finished item is very smooth with no lines and good fidelity for printing. However fine details may be brittle and could do with a bit of over engineering for durability.

Cost wise it was about $160 AUD and much much cheaper than Shapeways. Delivery time was good, compared to other makers they are a highly cost effective and good service.

Scott
Well done Scott, Quite the collection you're building there. What are you going to use to haul them with?
Best wishes for the New Year.
Cheers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The V class steam loco is on hold at the moment but will make an effort in 2021 to continue it. I will (eventually) have some steam and diesel locos built to haul my colonial railway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts