G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this little side bar in all places, Business Weekly. Anyhow,since everyone is concerned about energy these days, the folks up at the Reneselaer Polytechnical Institute have developed a process whereby they have put(actually grew)columns of NANOrods of copper on the interior walls of boilers and have claimed to reduce energy consumption to generate steam in the modified boilers by 90%. Unreal since you can barely see nanorods with the naked eye (I think). Nanoseconds, nanocells, and now Nanoboilers...Wow!!
Noel

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Noel
Good news, now if they could "grow something" that would allow for higher mechanically efficiency when it is applied to work then we would see steam back on the rails!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
"Nanotechnologists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute say they cut the energy needed to boil water by 90%. " I have a hard time believing that statetment!!!

Also, I would love to see steam return to the rails, but I figure that the new technology will NOT look or operate anything like the Steam Locomotive that has my passion... thus it would not be worthy of note "to me". Sure, it will be a big, powerful locomotive, but it will probably look like a big box with tiny wheels under it... no side rods, no chuffing, no "life" to it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
They must have finally invented the "Perpetuum mobile". With an overall Carnot efficiency of a modern steam plant in the order of 40% they must be able to boost it to over 100%. All energy problems solved!
Regards

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I just went to the RPI: News & Events and under "On The Boil: New Nano Technique for Boiling Water they discuss the technology. No where do they claim 90% reduction in energy to boil water. That was Business Weeks claim. However, the report show a sugnificant reduction in energy to boil water in a vessel whose surface is coated with Nanorods of copper. Folks we need a longer energy crisis, then mabey we will get off our duff and do something phenominal with common materials we have available. Worth some thought eh?
Noel

·
Registered
126 Posts
What is the cost of coating the surface with Nanorods?, How long before the rods fur up and what do you use to inspect them an electron microscope?
Regards,
Gerald

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I would love to see steam return to the rails

I think they are working to improve all those boilers used to heat old buildings downtown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts