G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Perhaps our overlords didn't want what appears to be a bit of a hack known to the members of forum.

Now, I wonder what will happen to this thread!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Pete:

Spam is exactly that: "SPAM."

Forwarding it (or any contents within) to any message board, or other computer address is just plain nuts! That would include just copying and pasting the contents.

The idea is to prevent the dissemination of spam, not to widen its distribution, which is exactly what the spammers want.

Happy (SPAM-free) RRing,

Jerry

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Pete,
Is this what you got?
Hello,
I like your profile in this community network and I think you are a nice
person. i want us to be friends i don't know how you will feel about it,please you can write to me through my email .via: [email protected] and i will tell you all about my self including my pictures I'm sorry if i am embarrassing you, i shall explain my self to you
Email via: [email protected]
yours in love,
Regard,s Ngonehadiza.

Got it as a PM... Seems like SPAM accounts have increased since VS took over.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Dang!
You get love!
I get the FBi verifying a sweepstakes win using my isp email addy!
But I need to send the fbi a $650 fee, a small price for millions. Official looking letter head, can I barrow the moola?

Love you long time.

Lucky

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Totalwrecker, you can barrow the moola when the hyperinflation is done.
I will be fine though. My good friend the doctor from Nigeria is transferring millions of unclaimed government dollars into my bank account. Should be here any day now. I will give you some if you give my your bank account details...

Andrew

·
Registered
694 Posts
Dang-

We're all having good luck today. I had a phone call on my cell that said I won a free cruise. Then I got another call that said my credit card rate is about to expire. GULP.... O' wait I haven't had a credit card in years.

O' well, I'll wait for another email that informs me I have a large inheritance to claim :rolleyes:

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Jeeze, there's enough spam in the world that "sharing" it for fun is not necessary. (And not everyone's definition of "fun" either)

Virtually every forum in the world has rules against replying to, or even acknowledging spam.

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent you a PM Pete that the perp was banned and your thread (no longer revelant) was deleted. Why are you griping?
I'm griping because I didn't get your PM. And you know I don't like censorship. Why can't you leave the thread but insert a 'contents deleted' message after you remove my PM ?

And yes, BNSFconductor, it was the same PM.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
First, I don't know why you didn't get my PM. Second, I figured you posted the thread to draw the mods attention to the issue. Once the issue was resolved, it made sense, I thought, to delete it. Third, deleting spam from the forums is not "censorship." Fourth, when you joind this forum, you agreed to the forum rules which say that anything deemed inappropriate by a moderator may be edited or deleted at any time for any reason. And lastly, I'm real tired of having this repetitive debate. Gripe all you want... it's a moderated forum and I doubt that will change.

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
I'm just trying to understand.
Garbage was sent that shouldn't have been.
Garbage was then posted so this site was aware of it.
Garbage was removed so I (and everyone else) wasn't even aware there was garbage.
Person posting about problem with garbage is perturbed because garbage was removed.
Another being helpful? posted original garbage so we all can see what the discussion is about.
So now an explanation is required because garbage was removed.
In the end - it was still garbage
I still don't understand - it was GARBAGE!

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
First of all, I am very opposed to anyone or any website that allows spam messages to be posted or to persist as if they are part of the forum. That includes any re-posting of items as Pete apparently did. I can not understand why an otherwise intelligent and productive member would do this. Is Pete's intention to work on destroying this website?

Next, bnsfconductor reposts what is apparently the original message, but his post is not deleted. Why is this? Is bnsfconductor's reposting ot spam not considered potentially destructive to this website while Pete's is?

Pete has over 3800 posts. bnsfconductor has 950 posts. Both of them should know better. Why is Pete's post (properly) deleted, while bnsfconductor's post is (improperly) allowed to persist?

And last, I again ask, why do apparently intelligent folks sharing a hobby through a website feel the need to forward what are at best messages with no RR content, and at worst possibly destructive to that website and / or its inhabitants.

Makes me wonder . . .

Happy (Spam-Free) RRing,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can not understand why an otherwise intelligent and productive member would do this
(Hi Jerry, I'm still here.)

I posted it because (as you all noticed from BNSF's post,) it is entirely non-threatening. It wasn't a virus or anything malicious - as a website developer, I'm in the habit of scanning the source code visually to check for hidden stuff.

I thought it was weird and funny/peculiar, and it might stimulate some debate if I stuck it in the website forum.

Had I got a PM from Dwight (try again, buddy - let's see if the PM works this time,) I would not have been so peeved.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Pete, you are trying valiantly to justify your position, but I think your position is decomposing under your feet.

Now you say you are a website developer, so you should be even more aware about how to handle spam and how it is almost always a taboo topic on a forum

And, this is a train forum, not large jokes central...

And PM's on moderator actions are (excuse me Dwight if I overstep) a COURTESY to you, not a REQUIREMENT.

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Anyone scroll through Galleries lately?
Last night there were a couple of lonely ladies and an ad for pharmas... I flagged the pharma.
Finding a train tolerant lady isn't a bad thing.... I left 'em!
John

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Dear Pete:
You have a nice accent.
You really need palm oil, I can arrange. Trust me. Extra virgin.
We can do exchange, my palm oil for your Hudson. Leave Hudson at door. Tanker will arrive at your depot of preference.
===>Napcitydesigner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts