G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snowy day here south of Richmond. Of course because of the lack of snow removal in the city and county areas, it's a real mess. I was able to get the plow back on the tractor to use in our drive and three others of the neighbors.Also took care of the street in our corner to keep the Yahooos from using the corner as a Dukes of hazard stunt slide and end up in our yard or worse. Plowed twice in all. Still snowing now s we'll see where that goes. I'm done playing in this stuff. After 22 years in Chicago, 4 years in Western New York and 5 in KC I can honestly say I still like it but unfortunately we're not equiped for it wardrobe wise anymore. Anyhow here are pics of the back yard. Would have been nice to run the train and get some pics of that but it started to rain saturday before I could level the ballast that's covering the tracks. No fun just running on the trestle so.....

Anyhow here are a couple of pics. You can just see outline of things like the trestle and a couple rock walls. The pond looks totally covered but is flowing as normal. Trees are bending slightly and the Azeleas are all laying in the ground. We have one cedar that has bent in half and quite a few limbs down but no damage. We are expecting higher than usual winds on the back-side of this latest system or that's what we were told. We'll see what thing look like after we deal with some 30+mph winds.

That's all so later!

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somewhere out there under all that snow are some 1:20 folks trapped at the Bier Garten. Not a bad place to be trapped but still trapped none the less. Trouble is they are glued to the benches on the deck of the establishment. Hehehe

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Joe,

You need to be careful what you wish for. Weren't you commenting on Ron's thread about the lack of snow just last week? Well, there you go. Plenty of white stuff. Now, I have to note with some disappointment that your priorities are all screwed up. Where are your snowplow train shots? Real plowing? That's just disgraceful!! Next thing you'll tell us is you skipped pancakes for breakfast or grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch!! Oh well, there might still be some snow out there!! LOL!

Mark

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
As so often happens, all the snow passed well south of us here in the Ottawa Valley. Nothing but sunshine and over the last few days, temps that barely budged above 0F. Even this morning I awoke to -7F and a stiff wind. No groundhogs needed here - winter goes on for all of March!(measured in cold not snow that is)

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sort of. I commented that since the area was due we would probably get hit with some Nor'easter. I understand the last one here was in 2005 but the last one I endured was in Atlanta during the second week of March, 1993. I actually don't mind snow. Problem is when you're gearing up for spring and have had 3 palettes of mulch delivered from the local Lowe's, plans to go get fertilizer and pre-emergent for the lawn that is greening out and the flowers are blooming all over the yard!!!!!!!!!! It would have been nice two months ago
Then again this is just spring in the SE/Mid-Atlantic US. I thinkj everyone got their fair share this year. Hehehe

I know I've mentioned it but growing up in Chicago and then having lived in Western New York and Kansas City, we're still accustomed to the shtuff. Even in my time in Atlanta, we had half a dozen events that brought 6 or more inches of snow to the area. Still gets me though how unprepared everyone is in this part of the hemisphere and the fact that you couldn't find a loaf of bread or gallon of milk to save your life Sunday afternoon. At the store we saw some carts with 5-6 loaves and 3-4 gallons of milk. Don't understand it since if the power goes out........To me canned goods is the way to go. Heck you can eat them right outta the can. Chef Boyardee, four types of fruit and vegetables and a hand turned can opener are kept on hand for just these occasions.

Yeah, I know the lack plow train tracks is disgraceful and yeah a battery powered train will run just about anywhere. BUT! The 4" of ballast that still covers the tracks would have made it impossible to plow. Don't get me wrong, I was dying to get out there and get some run time in. It is also highly disgraceful to have a Sante Fe plow and a SD45 specially weighted for the occasion and not use them.

Never was a huge Tomato soup and Grilled cheese person.
More a beef vegetable or chicken noodle and grilled cheese person.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
We really got wacked up here in NE Maryland. Going quickly today. A couple of more days like today and it will be history. BTW what ever became of the whacked out neigbor behind you? Did she turn you in for shoveling snow? Not trying to stir up old issues...just curious.
N

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.