G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is slower than a snail. A snail crawling uphill on a mountain covered with molasses.

On the serious side, My pond's snail population has reached record levels. Most of them are rather large, close to the size of a golfball. Is there a point that there can be too many snails for their own good, or the good of the pond?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Yes. You need to start getting rid of as many as you can. They don't eat that much algae and add to the waste cycle of the pond. Time to go snail hunting. Try selling them to your local pond dealer if he will take them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Maybe eat them yourselves instead of exporting them. After all it might help ease your grocery bills.
/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

On a more serious note these moluscs are a pain to me. They leave their trails on the rail head making it necessary to have to clean the track before running. I don't run battery but even if I did I don't think I would welcome the wheel contamination that it would cause.

I have to accept their presence as I have no wish to antagonize the Head Gardner as she is generally quite co-operative with the railroad MOW staff (me) /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts
Please do not dump them into a local waterway. We have a lot of problems in Florida because of the well intention who dump unwanted pets, animals and even plants into our waterways. They take over from the native plants and animals. The latest is the giant boas in the everglades.

I don't know the size of your pond or if they are available. But a few shellcrackers would control your snail population. They are a pan fish that eats snails. No, they are not French.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering what happened to my snake!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never seen them out of the water. Maybe once in awhile one will be on the spillway between the upper and lower pond, but never on dry land.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Salt. I LOVE to watch em dissolve when ya pour salt on em. But...if you have fish in your pond...keep the salt on the dry land.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did one snail say to the other snail?

What it, that's Rielley's place. He likes his snails with salt./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts