G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I have left my locos out 24/7 but this year I have had failures in (3) LGB smoke units and (1) USA train smoke unit. I am beginning to think that it might be from rain, snow and freezing weather. Do you leave yours out??

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
no way, all the ones I have seen of current production would not like the fluid reservoir filled with water, it would get on the electronics eventually... and at least on the heating element.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
If water got in and froze it could rip wires off of components as well as crack the components themselves. What has the overnight temps been lately in MD?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have had a colder than usual winter. Mostly it is above freezing but not this year. Even had a couple of days in single digits wihich is unusual for us. Guess I'll have to build that roundhouse...(heated)

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
That's a good way to screw up locos and smoke units by leaving them out in the weather. Not a good Idea. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Here's what happened to my "waterproof" (per the factory literature) speaker after it got wet from sprinklers:

It was facing upwards, and got filled with water in a diesel.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
leaving locos out in the weather is not recommended......

but what caught my attention is that you have done this and your only falure is smoke units .......

what are you useing for smoke fluid? how old is it ?? and is it starting to turn yellow ??

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LGB Smoke in LGB's. We go thru a lot of fluid. Never gets old. They get run almost daily! Two of the LGB units seperated where the tube meets the smoke unit. Surely a result of freezing. USA unit corroded.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BUT in my own defense...my home office looks out over the pond and the trains. When I get stuck on one of those conf. calls you can be sure that in one hand is the phone and in the other is the TE running the trains! That is my escape!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You leave them outside uncovered? If so that's a bad idea.

Our locos are left outside during the summer, but are always covered when we are not running them. Covered by either plastic storage bins, in the roundhouse, or wrapped with heavy grade plastic over a bridge like in this photo:

Even the slightest bit of moisture can destroy complex or even simple circuitry inside a locomotive. And temperature extremes can also cause a great deal of problems.

But it doesn't sound too bad. Thankfully LGB smoke units are replaceable for the most part.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Just be carefull when using plastic to cover loco's and cars. If your in a warm weather climate you will increase the heat and it will melt parts on cars and loco's. A friend of mine did this in Florida and it was a disaster. Even storing in a garage with high humidity can rust the switches on the loco's. I've had a couple faile that way also. Later RJD

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Good point RJD.

Being out in the southwest mountains of Colorado, we sometimes forget there's such a thing as humidity

1 - 15 of 15 Posts