G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a smoke stack for my Ruby that is similar to the one on my 4-4-0 Lanakila below.

I've looked everywhere I can think to look and found nothing. I was hoping Accucraft would have one, but they didn't. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Richard, Roundhouse Engineering makes a stack cap that looks very much (though not exactly) like that one. Check wtih your local Roundhouse dealer and see if they can get you one, or try writing directly to Roundhouse. They're a smallish operation and have been extremely helpful to me in the past with spare parts.
Or, find someone with a lathe and ask them to turn a cap that matches that one exactly. Shouldn't be very hard.
Or, chuck a piece of brass into your drill press and go at it with files. I believe that is how "Redbeard" Larry made the fluted domes for his Forney. Just remember to buy a couple of new files - they cut brass beautifully, while dull files will not touch it (even if they still work fine on steel).

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Vance,
Thanks for the information on files. I've been frustrated trying to figure out why my drill press lathe didn't work well any more. It was my worn out files that I noticed worked well on other metals. This is why I love this forum and steamups - you learn a lot!

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you rub chalk on a new file before useing it on softer metals (brass copper, alumunum) it won't loadup on fileing as fast. It will also make it easyier to clean with a file card.
Regards,
Gerald

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
The Accucraft UK engines have a stack like that.  Maybe Royce can get you one or you could go direct.

"If a train station is where the train stops, what is a work station?"

·
Registered
225 Posts
Richard,

Email Roundhouse Engineering at [email protected]. Chris (Christine) is very helpful in filling all of my parts requests and the service is outstanding. Check out their website and you'll see what is available.

Mike McCormack
Hudson, Massachusetts

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny, I looked at some sites that offered roundhouse products, and didn't find any parts lists. Also looked through accucraft site and didn't find any fluted stacks, but a lot of others.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Richard,

There is only a short parts list on their website, but they will sell most anything they use to build their locomotives, excepting frames. Check out their website for what you want and ask in an email. Chances are they will supply it to you.

Mike McCormack
Hudson, Massachusetts

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike, when you say they, do you mean both roundhouse and accucraft? Also, will they be okay with dimensions and a description of the part I need, since I don't have a part number?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Richard,

Can't speak to Accucraft, but look on the Roundhose Engineering website and check out the loco stack caps. Then just tell Chris you want a, for example, LADY ANNE stack cap and you're there. She can also give you measurements, etc. They are most helpful.

Mike McCormack
Hudson, Massachusetts

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again Mike, I'll do just that. I might also try my hand at turning one ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts