G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m currently in the process of building my first indoor g scale layout, and I’m interested in any options I might have for slow motion throwing of my turnouts.

I couldn’t find anything recent searching the forums here, and a search online reveals that the perfect product for this—the Aristocraft electric turnout #11298—went away along with the company.

Are there any other similar machines? Do you have any other recommendations given I will be using an ESU 50310 DCC system (the first time using DCC)? Can I make use of any of the numerous digital and standard servos I have on hand I’ve used building large model airplanes?

Thanks all for your input!!

My progress so far on the layout:

·
Super Modulator
21,124 Posts
You can use pneumatic switch motors, and put a "restrictor" in the air line, essentially a small orifice to limit air flow.

I control my turnouts with DCC, but you can use manual toggles too...

·
Super Modulator
21,124 Posts
But can they run in slow motion? That is the key I believe, and the thread title.

Greg

p.s. I think the servo idea would be neat, but I did not see speed control in the link provided. I do have the Tam Valley servo controllers that are also mentioned in that thread, and they indeed allow you to control the speed of the servo. I use them on my Z scale layout.

I don't really like servos, because in my experience, they have to draw current all the time, to ensure pressure of the points against the stock rails. Trying to keep them adjusted to just the right spot never worked well for me, keeping them pressed up against the stock rail means they need to be active, i.e. drawing current.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
But can they run in slow motion? That is the key I believe, and the thread title.

Greg

p.s. I think the servo idea would be neat, but I did not see speed control in the link provided.
I think Dan is referring to the SWD unit by MD Electronics

TrainLi used to sell a servo-controlled switch machine compatible with LGB etc turnouts - I don't know what happened to that. Dan probably knows.

Knute

·
Super Modulator
21,124 Posts
Yes, it was clear that Dan was talking about the MD units, we are both on GScaleCentral, where they come up often.

The TrainLi one is no longer sold, it was very problematic, I have used 3 different versions of them and it was a real learning experience about some of the unwritten DCC programming eccentricities in Europe. I was using them when they first appeared, and I'm pretty sure they are on my site, for helping anyone who still has them.

Yes the MD units can have speed set. I have not used any of them yet, but they have a turntable controller I have been eyeing. Thanks for the link to the manual.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts