G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought mine from a man in Australia. Are they still being made? Contacts? Thanks

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
55 Posts
I've been researching them. I have no idea if he is still doing them, but the Australian website is still up.

As far as I can tell his setup only fit under outside frame locos, or in cars. I'm starting my project of building one to fit my Ruby. If I can do that it should fit anything.

Don't expect fast results on my project, in a little over a month my busy season will start and I'll be lucky to think of trains for 8 hours total in four months.

Tyler

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
As far as I can tell his setup only fit under outside frame locos, or in cars. I'm starting my project of building one to fit my Ruby.
I think Terry makes them for specific locos, and many locos used in Oz have outside frames as they are 32mm or 45mm gauge adjustable. A unit designed for a 32mm outside frame chassis should fit any 45mm gauge loco? But don't listen to me - ask Terry!

P.S. There are other inertia/drag solutions. Take a look at this:
Drag/Inertia Car

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I chose to build mine into a trailing car with Larry Green's help and John Raffe's inspiration. I will build two bodies, one for each of the scales in which I most frequently model. That way I can use it with any loco I wish. It must have a solid connection to the loco and sufficient weight to function properly. It took a long time to get with Terry's work schedule so patience is called for.

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
55 Posts
I'm very interested in one that is tied to the drive train of my Ruby. Even after doubling it's weight, it just does a burn out until the consist has gotten to half speed.

One time (foolishly) I was running the Ruby without any cars. It will do a solid burnout for 4 feet. Then after accelerating, I locked up the wheels and it slid for 8 feet.

Needless to say, I need to tame my Ruby in a manner that does not require traction. Also, my end goal is to use it as a switcher tank engine setting up a train for my bigger line locomotive. So it will spend some time uncoupled and I like the smooth, slow movements of this one.
Video of slomo switcher

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
I need to tame my Ruby
You are having fun. Have you looked at the improved throttle spindle that Jason at TTD sells?
The Train Department - Live Steam Locomotives and Steam Accessories - TTD Upgrade Valves

I think adding a Slo-Mo type of flywheel under your loco would definitely improve its control. I would think Terry would want to make one available for the Ruby - there are a lot of them tearing around all over the place.
Adding them in a trailing car is problematic due to friction issues. My drag car is very, very heavy. Much better to put it where the problem is - in a drive axle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Terry (Mr Slomo) is still in business. He recently moved house which has slowed production.
He has also updated the design, as seen in a youtube video
Mike Bickford
Murrumburrah Tramway
NSW Australia

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are problems with trying to fit a Slomo to a Ruby/ Mimi locomotive. The center line reverser valve and eccentrics on the axle are in the way of putting a Slomo unit on these engines. I have an Accucraft Earl fitted with a Somo unit and it fits between the frames very snuggly . I also have a Accucraft Mimi and can not see anyway that a Slomo device could be put in place between the frames and clear the reverser , eccentric linkages to the valves.
Charles M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts