G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have low spots due to removed brush, bushes or whatever you need to fill those in. However it is a good idea to make sure organic matter has been removed. The issue is the roots and so forth rot.and result in low spots as the rot compresses.

If the organics have been removed then you will still want to dig a trench down to solid gouging and then fill with stone dust or crushed rock. The thing here is the tripping out a bush loosens the soil which will eventually settle again. The other option is to tamp the soil to the same density as the surrounding landscape.

While slightly unrelated a good portion of my property is a sandy loam. The side walks in several places over the years have settled and tilted dramatically. This is actually a problem with all construction in the neighborhood. In some places it was so bad I had to replace the walkway. So to try to prevent a reoccurrence I dug down a good two feet into a different layer of dirt (it is pretty obvious) and then back filled with two feet of crush stone (#2 I think) and then laid concrete across that base for the replacement side walk. So far so good.

Interesting the state took a similar approach when rebuilding one of the local highways that wasn't all that stable and in fact was on somewhat swampy land. They literally dug a channel deep enough to bury the rather large bulldozers they where using.

In the end construction is all about your foundation. That foundation can be a road bed for a rail way or a sky scraper, either way you need to consider local conditions.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.