G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked out my site and just finished initial survey: overall, it is slightly over a 2% grade from front to back (50 ft) and a gentle 4% from right to left 9(25 ft with 2% drop in last 2 feet at boundary).
My question are: 1. There are some low, mushy spots where removed bushes were so how do I fill these to get firm area for rail yard? Do I bring in fill and tamp it until firm and level? 2. On the side boundary, I need to level it somewhat but that will leave a 2 - 3 inch fall off. I plan on using the outside boundary like a river (since it IS a river when it rains) but the rail line will be the "bank" for a
3 foot section of this 50' . Do I use the ballast as the "shore"? Timbers? Gravel? Bigger rocks? This is a Georgia coast rail so rocks are not typical.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't the bank need to be porous or else I create a dam? This low area is a de facto "ditch" (albeit only 3 - 4 " lower than surrounding area) that drains my and my neighbor's yards down toward the marsh. At the marsh edge, it abruptly drops 36 to 44 inches. - if I squared it off, I would have a scaled Niagra Falls!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to finish a detailed survey then bring in fill to make some areas flatter for a rail yard then let nature sculpt the area while I plan the exact layout. I thinking early 1900's steam. I have two 25' X 50' areas on either side of my yard which will be connected by a 120' line running along the top of my 4' high retaining wall - separating my yard from the tidal marsh. When I get the first area ready for layout, I will put up a picture and RR track plan to get some feedback and ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.