G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my torch from NGT. I ordered it last week.
I was really impressed when I got a phone call within a few hours of E-mailing a request for information.
Just wanted to give credit for fast and friendly service.http://ngtmodels.com/
NGT Models

Harvey C.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had the same experiance from NGT models, when I ordered Roundhouse parts.  Very prompt reply to my email and had the order placed within an hour.

Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
What burner tips did you get? I use the 2942 most of the time and 2943 for big jobs. I have a 2944 but never used it.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the general recommendation, 2942. Should be easy to add others as the need arises.
Of course, I'm a total novice at boiler making.

Harvey C.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
The 2942 will do a 2.5" copper pipe just fine. Probably all you'll need for Gauge 1 work.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Hi, Bob...

Just curious about what gas pressure you operate your burner at? I am just getting around to unpacking my old Sievert gear into the new workshop and notice I have the gas regulator screwed into almost max a 28psi. Seems to work okay but have long since lost the instructions.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Hi John: Don't know. My regulator does not have a gauge. I should put one in just to see.

Bob

P.S. Ain't moving fun?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 04/01/2009 10:23 AM
Harvey - How does one place an order with NGT? Via phone? I see no ordering info on their web site.

Thanks.

Email them, I sent my shopping list of items needed, and got a reply with individual prices and a shipping quote. Paid with Paypal.

Very prompt reply to all emails.

Steve

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Hi all, I ordered my torch directly from Sievert USA. It was delivered in a couple of days. I ordered their regulator along with three burners 3940, 2941, and2943.The handle is a 3488(?). The instructions for the burner say the recommended pressure is 28 psi, but you can operate at higher pressures. The regulator pressure numbers begin at 28. So if you turn your tank on the pressure starts at 28. It can be adjusted up to 60. I have been running it at 28 with the small burner and don't have a problem with easyflow45. This is my first experience with silver solder. I have never built anything with metal but decided to build Kozo's New Shay. Today I finished soldering all the parts for the frame, which I should have complete this week. Next step is the wheels. Before the frame I had never run a mill, and now I start to learn the lathe. This has been quite an experience.

Dave Barker
Bow NH

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I also had great service from NGT. They were quick in answering the phone and returning emails. I ordered the Roundhouse Russell from them and when it arrived damaged a quick phone call and they took care of it. Once I got the Russell back from Roundhouse with the new body NGT called me to see if everything was alright and if it was running good. You don't find that kind of service much anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 04/01/2009 3:39 PM
Just ordered a Sievert rig. My little oxy-acetylene rig is too small for much boiler work.

I guess there are no more bar-b-ques working since the propane tanks are on the Sievert rigs.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Any standard, refillable propane tank. A 20 pounder like those on a bar-b-que works perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

Zoë , from NGT Models.

Could ya'll please, take a moment and let me know
which Sievert Burners (tips) are those most wanted,
I'll make a point of having them on hand.

I appreciate all the wonderful comments about NGT Models you've all given.
Makes the effort well worth while.

May I bring your attention to the following link:

http://gardenrailwayrealism.pbworks.com/

It's a collection of articles about building Garden Railways,

with some beautiful photos.

Thanks,

Zoë Topper

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Hi Zoe, I have the following tips 3940 small, 2941 middle and 2943. I am new to this and these were recommended by people a lot smarter than me.

Dave Barker
Bow NH

1 - 20 of 24 Posts