G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The title says it all. Was wondering if there are technical drawings available for Sierra Railway locomotives? I am looking at modeling a couple as future long-term projects, specifically 30, 28 and possibly 3. I could not find any from a brief internet search. I plan on heading down to both Railtown and the CSRM this fall and checking with them both.
I figured it shouldn't be too hard to find drawings of or close to 28 and 30, as they were both fairly typical Baldwin products. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Also, I'm currently hiking the PCT, so I may not have lightning fast responses for the next month or so.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Man, I'd love to have an accurate model of the Sierra #3 in Large Scale.
I have 2 of the Tyco/Mantua versions that I've made to look as close to her as possible(one is a wood burner. One, a coal burner).
It's too bad that no company has ever offered a version of Sierra #3 in Large Scale.
She seems to be a natural for Large Scale modeling.
After all, she is the "Movie Star Locomotive" !

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazedtte DVD. It is searchable, and I found several articles back in 1999 and 1979 on Sierra Railway locomotives. Here's a typical screen shot:
Thanks Pete! That's just what I'm looking for. Does the DVD have the drawings or does it just tell you which magazine issues contain the drawings?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's too bad that no company has ever offered a version of Sierra #3 in Large Scale.
She seems to be a natural for Large Scale modeling.
After all, she is the "Movie Star Locomotive" !
I agree, would be a very cool model. I think the ongoing issue has been scale. These Victorian-era locomotives end up being quite small if appropriately scaled and, from what I've gathered, there aren't a lot of people like me who wouldn't mind if it was scaled up to 1:24. Would go perfectly with my string of Delton Sierra coaches.

·
Premium Member
6,895 Posts
Does the DVD have the drawings or does it just tell you which magazine issues contain the drawings?
The DVD has the complete contents of each magazine, page by page. Rich's link to Bob Hayden (who did the DVD and scanned every page) is probably still the best way to get one.
As it is searchable, I strongly recommend it.

Sierra #3 is in the Jan 1991 issue.

Property Product Font Vehicle Screenshot

Rectangle Handwriting Font Screenshot Software

Accucraft did a D&RGW T-12 4-6-0 which has a similar look:
D&RGW T-12 now in the roundhouse

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pete, that looks like a superb resource. I'll be on the lookout for one of those DVDs.

The T12 is a mighty handsome locomotive. Although it shares 3's wheel arrangement, the rest of the engine would require quite a bit of modification to capture 3's overall shape and character. Not to mention the scarcity of the T12 model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
El DVD tiene el contenido completo de cada revista, página por página. El enlace de Rich a Bob Hayden (quien hizo el DVD y escaneó cada página) es probablemente la mejor manera de conseguir uno.
Como se puede buscar, lo recomiendo encarecidamente.

Sierra #3 está en la edición de enero de 1991.

[ADJUNTAR=completo]64142[/ADJUNTAR]

[ADJUNTAR=completo]64143[/ADJUNTAR]

Accucraft hizo un D&RGW T-12 4-6-0 que tiene un aspecto similar:
D&RGW T-12 ahora en la rotonda
[/COTIZAR][/COTIZAR]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts