G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 Bachmann side dump cars , that look new and plain . I would like some people to post pictures of some weathered ones to get some ideas. Did you take them apart to get good results ? Thanks Guys !

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Personal experience. Google "side dump cars," "side dump ore cars," side dump ore cars in the UK," or 4 wheel side dump ore cars...."

VERY IMPORTANT: Select "images" from the drop-down menu options at the top.

Try Wikipedia also you'll be surprised at the reference links included at the bottom of the article{s).

Happy hunting. :)

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Dale;

Not sure whether these photos will help, but figured it won't hurt to show them. The first cars are the Hartland Locomotive Works side dump kits. I simply painted the dump bodies with Badger rail brown paint to represent unpainted steel. I hand-numbered them. I have been told that the numbers on the real cars are simply rough-painted with a brush or spray can.

The second example is a PlayMobil toy. After some TLC with light modifications, more subdued paint, and weathering, it really becomes a very nice car.

The last example is a very lightly weathered LGB gable-bottom dump car. I wish I could find more of these cars, but they seem to be out of production.

Hope this helps,
David Meashey

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts