G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess no one here belongs to the NMRA (or maybe they don't admit to it), but did I miss reading anything on MLS about Todd and Linda Brody's story on their garden railway? Lots of nice pictures and plenty of text. Just asking. Oh yeah, and congrats, Todd and Linda.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I haven't belonged to the NMRA for some years now...since I went into largescale but I agree that we should certainly congratulate Todd on his story. He's been around here a long time and truly does have an exceptional railroad which he obviously shares freely. Good going Todd!!!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Thanks guys!  :D

Is the article even out yet?  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

I've not seen it and only just joined NMRA, primarily for the convention updates and to get a copy of what they publish.  Right now they are having a special for

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just received my copy today! That is indeed a wonderful story, especially the account of how they built the RR. I found it more enjoyable that comparable articles on garden RRs in GR, which seem to have become more "gee whiz" in content rather than this in-depth article in Scale Rails, a pleasant surprise to find in the NMRA publication.

And no, NMRA does not mean National Model Rifle Association. :cool:

Mark

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Posted By MarkLewis on 02/28/2008 3:07 PM
I just received my copy today! That is indeed a wonderful story, especially the account of how they built the RR. I found it more enjoyable that comparable articles on garden RRs in GR, which seem to have become more "gee whiz" in content rather than this in-depth article in Scale Rails, a pleasant surprise to find in the NMRA publication.

Mark

So then you are saying that the article is out now?  :cool:   I've not seen a copy of the magazine yet and like I said, have no idea exactly what was included. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Good suprises are always the best! :D

Posted By MarkLewis on 02/28/2008 3:07 PM

Mark

I like the idea of model ones better than real ones. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

-Brian

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Todd, I 've had my copy of Scale Rails for a few days. I've found that since Stephen Priest took over as editor, the magazine looks quite nice and I always find something to clip and save. I especially like the scale structure drawings by Pat Harriman. Although I may not build the exact structure depicted, it's a good way to learne what the dimensions of various buildings are: Like, how high are the walls, or what should the pitch of the roof be.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Thanks guys.

I just found out that they included 8 pages and that we are even featured on the cover shot!  I guess I'm just going to have to find a copy of the magazine somewhere??? 

·
Registered
183 Posts
Posted By toddalin on 02/29/2008 2:57 PM

Thanks guys.

I just found out that they included 8 pages and that we are even featured on the cover shot!  I guess I'm just going to have to find a copy of the magazine somewhere??? 
Call the author and demand she send you a copy! :D I'm actually surpried you haven't received one yet.

Mark

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Todd & Linda:

I got my copy of the NMRA's Scale Rails today. The article on your outstanding RR is truly one of the best LS spreads the NMRA has done. I especially enjoyed both the deep background on you folks and the information on the construction of the T&LBRR. The many photographs coupled with the detailed plan were really great, providing a lot of information on your excellent RR.

Heartiest Congratulations!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was especially impressed by the development story that emphasized building the railroad with lower cost supplies.  All too often the cost of a garden RR is similar to that of a full size pond, where the old saying was, "take all your money, dig a big hole in the ground, then bury it."

I've bought a lot of used track over the years and have never regretted doing so, but there are many people who think track has to be brand new to be usable. This article nicely puts the lie to that notion./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts