G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my USAT GP38-2 going after doing a battery RC install. Not exactly how I want it, but usable with no extra $$ spent for the moment. Using a RC car speed control with a Spectrum 2.4ghz receiver that is compatible with my RCS palm transmitter I also use for my live steam. The sound came with the engine, is an early Phoenix "Big Sound" board and is still using magnets to trigger the horn. Since the horn is a "canned" grade crossing sequence. I dont see the need to make it RC right now. I just set up my magnet to trigger it at the right time for my one grade crossing. I am using a 8.4v(7cell) 5000mah Nimh battery for the moment. With short trains and slow speeds, it does the job for now. I will pickup a 14.8v battery once I get a different receiver/speed controller that will work with that voltage, and is compatible with the RCS transmitter. Enjoy! Mike the Aspie

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree Todd, other than some limited control on the horn and bell(preset duration and effect like the grade crossing sequence on the horn), the prime mover and idling sounds still hold their own against the newer versions from Phoenix and others. They were the top shelf sound board back then and pretty salty price wise if I remember correctly. If not more expensive than current versions from them. Nice bonus having that already in the engine for the $175 she cost me. A bigger battery and a receiver/speed control board from RCS will be in the works soon. But for now, short trains like this and the speed range is perfect for me. No mainline track speeds on my layout or really any I visit locally. Branchline speed is fine! But the bigger battery voltage and mah wise is supposed to run one of these engines nearly 3 hours or a bit more.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I use RCS Rx plus motor control and LocoSound for Mexican train and my Geese. I also use the RCS palm transmitter and Rx for all my steamers. Great products!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the RCS controler. I wish the RC speed control and RX from the RC car world could tollerate the higher 14.8v battery as they work well, just need better duration than the 8.4v battery gives. Going to cycle the battery a few times before I bite the bullet and get a new RX and battery/charger set up for this one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts