G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building my new layout. It will have 3 separate lines. The outermost, mainline will have 10 ft. radius curves. In one corner, I will have a shallow gorge that will serve to drain the layout. The gorge will need 3, 2'-3' curved spans to cross the gorge next to each other but separated far enough to eliminate a single bridge option. The gorge is only about 10 inches deep. Since these will all be 10' radius, does anyone have suggestions on what kind of bridges I should use? I thought of Metal Garden's girder bridges but I don't think they're wide enough to handle the curved track.

Any help would be appreciated.

Doc

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. It took a while to get a couple of shots of the area where I plan to put my bridges. As usual, pictures are worth thousands of words.

Here are 2 shots from different angles.

Two comments:

1. I guess I should have put my layout drainage area where the track would be straight. However, that's the lowest point on the layout.

2. The 3 tracks are too close together to allow for trestles. which I would have preferred.

I guess I'll have to build my own (3) girder bridges to span the gulley. Right now I'm considering 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" aluminum channel cut and bent at a couple of places to accomodate the 10 ft. radius curve.

Thanks again.

Doc

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I guess I never thought of a culvert. I was focused on bridges from the get-go. I've actually started working on an aluminum angle-based bridge. Making one is OK but three of them sounds like too much work what with all the other stuff I got to do to get my railroad up and running.

The height from the base of the drainage to the top of the final layer of ballast is only about 6 inches. A couple of 3-4" pvc pipes just might do the trick. I can go ahead and lay the pipes, backfill for the tracks and use some 1" foam for a temporary culvert. I can come back later and build me a nice, permanent culvert at on end.

How's that sound?

Doc

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for posting the pictures Duncan. I'm going to be gone, on vacation, for a couple of weeks. When I get back, I'll head over to HD and get some ABS and give it a try. I think a double 3-4" culvert will do the trick.

Doc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.