G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an item for sale in Ebay. I just received a question from a gentleman in Canada asking if I would ship there. I had specified that I would only ship to USA. If I go ahead with this, will the shipping calculator adjust the chargers to the Canadian address? I shipped once to France a few years ago and aside from filling out a couple of forms it all went well. Anybody have any real problems with this?

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Accept the bid only with the understanding that the shipping charges will be quoted after the sale.

Box the item up and take it to the post office to find out exactly what the total charges will be.

It shouldn't be a problem

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I dont know about shipping, but I bought a live steam engine that was shipped by Canadian Parcel and cost was 64.00 and took about four days to get here.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Posted By Bob Baxter on 05/15/2009 4:40 PM
I have an item for sale in Ebay. I just received a question from a gentleman in Canada asking if I would ship there. I had specified that I would only ship to USA. If I go ahead with this, will the shipping calculator adjust the chargers to the Canadian address? I shipped once to France a few years ago and aside from filling out a couple of forms it all went well. Anybody have any real problems with this?

This is on Ebay and can I have the link? How much?

gg

PS: don't worry about shipping . If you are dealing with the right buyer it will not be an issue.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In his question he stated that he would pay through paypal in US dollars so I'm not worried about that. Ebay has a feature that apparently adjusts the shipping costs based on where the sender lives and the person who opens the sale post. I put in the size and weight of the box and if someone opens the post in California he'll see a diferent shipping cost than someone who opens it in New York. At least that's how I think it works. Anybody know for sure?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I have never had luck with the eBay online calculator, either me or my buyers loose their shirt....

If you know the size and weights and his CDN postal code, go to USPS (do NOT use UPS) website and plug it in and give him a "ballpark" rate.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
tack on 10 % as a buffer.

Should be good. Do not use UPS... US postal system is just fine.. Carry insurance. Package the goods for ZERO movement with double liner boxes. Supply tracking #'s. You are selling FOB your location. Buyer is responsible for goods after that. I am surprised that more people on Ebay do not mention "FOB" point and part of terms.

gg

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
The Ebay calculator is not always accurate in its quote for shipping to Canada. I have bought many Ebay items and as long as the seller packages them well and ships via USPS, then all is well.

A few vendors for reasons known only to them have shipped by Fedex or UPS ... these firms gouge a customs brokers fee of $50-75 to the bill even though there are no import duties. The last time it happened i refused to accept delivery and sent it back to the seller ... as he had agreed to ship a $20 item through the postal service. I wasn't happy and neither was the seller but I did not want to pay the extra $75 for no reason. Canada Post acts as the customs broker when it is mailed.

Regards ... Doug.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree with Randy. Sell it to a Canadian ONLY after you have actual known shipping costs. If you let them pay with Paypal, they may pay too fast before you know the shipping charges. This will be difficult, no matter how you do it. I have a policy, that I don't buy or sell outside the US. There are a lot of annoyances, and problems. For me, I just isn't worth the trouble.

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Dougald on 05/15/2009 7:25 PM
The Ebay calculator is not always accurate in its quote for shipping to Canada. I have bought many Ebay items and as long as the seller packages them well and ships via USPS, then all is well.

A few vendors for reasons known only to them have shipped by Fedex or UPS ... these firms gouge a customs brokers fee of $50-75 to the bill even though there are no import duties. The last time it happened i refused to accept delivery and sent it back to the seller ... as he had agreed to ship a $20 item through the postal service. I wasn't happy and neither was the seller but I did not want to pay the extra $75 for no reason. Canada Post acts as the customs broker when it is mailed.

Regards ... Doug.

Plus your stuff does not get stolen. A friend with a hobby shop in ON has found this out the hard way a few times with the Brown shipper who will go nameless.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have shipped eBay items to Canada and Australia with no probs. I just shipped a box of plastic wheels to France. As said above, you can get postal rates at usps.com .
You just need to fill out the declaration form at the post office and you're all set to go.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
yikes

(not you Brian...we were both posting at the same time... )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts