G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently I purchase some aristo heavyweights through an auction site. Six cars for $575. When I received my invoice two weeks later I was blown away at the shipping amount. Shipping with all bells and whistles was $190. I was flabbergasted. So icontacted the auction house and asked what up? The cars are in their OB's. They packed two cars per box (bigger than what need be) for a total of three big boxes. Thats just how they do things apparently. So I called ups and did the math with them. We came up with a way that was cheaper. Than I contacted Aristo, spoke to shipping and receiving. They told me that six cars in two boxes with insurance would cost about $80 to ship. So from NJ to CA $80. From IN to Ca (even closer) $190. What can I do to fix this problem? Please ignore the cost of the cars, its the principal of the thing. All suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, don't ship with Ooops.
Several reasons (and a recent long thread regarding same).

I shipped a unit to a customer, factory packaging, one engine, insured, $91 with Oooops, took 9 days.
Destroyed.
Next week another, same customer, USPS, insured, $25, not priority, took three days.
You do the math.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Basically, since you already won the auction, you are obligated to pay... you are stuck, I hate to say.

If you can find someone at the auction house who gives a damn about customer service, talk to them, politely and clamly and mention you discussed with UPS and Aristo about alternative packing options, and see if there is anything they can do to help you with what you feel is excessive shipping costs.

If no one is willing to help, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and make certain to mention the name at teh varios non-MFG forums so the rest of us can be warned and try to spead the news re: bad customer service.

Nothing changes a company's position like massive amounts of bad press. Case in point, Microsoft's original retirement plans for XP... they actually extended the lifetime for XP until 2014. This on top of the fact that it had been the longest running operating system in their history.
@import url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/CEHtmlEditorProvider/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Well personaly I think you should call the auction house and THANK them for the great deal you got on the 6 heavyweight cars!!!!
In fact give me their name so I can get a set at that awesome price!!!

You say don't consider the price of the cars well thats just nuts since your end price is less that what just 3 cars would cost you from Aristo.

real world math;

6 heavyweight cars $575 + $190 shipping = $765 = $127.50 per car

Go buy them from Aristo and get their GREAT shipping deal;
6 heavyweight cars = $1746 + AWESOME shipping deal $80 = $304.33 PER CAR

·
Registered
49 Posts
Folks,
Prices for shipping have gone through the roof. Two years ago, it cost me apx, $ 40.80 (with 2k + ins.) via UPS to send an Accucraft K-28 to a friend. We are talking Southern CA to Reading, MA. Sadly, two years later, my friend of 53 years passed away, and that same loco came back to me per his will. I was there helping the widow, and when I went to ship the SAME loco in the SAME box, with the SAME amount of ins., it cost me over $ 100.00 ($ 108.00 as I recall, but recalling lately is getting harder and harder!) Note that desintaion was exactly the reverse, Reading, MA to Southern CA., shipped via UPS. I guess the moral of this story is; "Don't be surprised at a HUGE shipping amount, for as you can see prices have more than doubled." I understand that Because of my friend's generosity, that's all it cost me, but you all had better ask "What is this gonna cost me?" when you order, or..........if you have the apx. weight of your new item you can work this out easily on UPS.com.
Above all, have fun with your hobby!
George Konrad

·
Registered
205 Posts
Those are big boxes, and it does cost big money to ship. Highly unlikely the auction house will deal with it but...Big stuff ships cheap via Greyhound. You have to go to the local bus station but you'd be surprised how many there are. I found out there was a "stop" at a local hardware store of all places.

You said with "all bells and whistles"...Not bad. It cost me $28.00 to ship an LGB streamliner from the midwest to California, Parcel Post. My "cut rate" would have been $168.00 for 6 of them for just postage, no handling. $190.00 ain't chump change but it does not sound out of line for "all the bells and whistles".

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The "principle" of the thing is if you don't wanna pay the shipping. Don't bid. As I already said in another thread, I got a quote of $17 on the UPS website in December, but when I got to the counter they wanted $67.

When a package gets over a certain size the rate then goes by dimensions OR weight, whichever is HIGHER. Residential shipping costs more (sometimes a LOT more) than having it delivered to a business. Fair? maybe not. Legal, yes. Should the seller eat some of the cost of the shipping to make you happy?..... I'm not gonna go there. You wouldn't like the answer.

"Bigger than they need to be"? Read the UPS thread. If they arrived broken in half, you'd certainly be having a conniption about that, too. Now wouldn't you?

Now if he told you the shipping would be $108, and it actually cost him $5? That MIGHT be fraud, but you still chose to bid.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
I always consider the cost of shipping in as the total cost of the item.

If I am going to bid on something and it's worth say 100 bucks to me, I take the stated cost of shipping from the 100 bucks and that is the max I bid.

25 bucks for shipping means my max bid for the item will be 75 bucks.

If they don't state the shipping cost, I don't bid.

Randy

·
Registered
25 Posts
@import url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/CEHtmlEditorProvider/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);
Please tell us the auction site.That is a very nice deal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm with you Randy. At least on eBay they usually say how much shipping will be. It really scares me to order from St. Aubin because they won't tell me how much shipping is until they charge my credit card. How much shipping is really important; it can be a huge percentage of the cost of G-scale items. I have to figure out if the total price with shipping and tax is still a good deal.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
steamupdad,

Thes auction house has a huge mark up for shipping. This way they are making money every which way.

Shipping 3 large boxes max would be half what you paid. You got ripped off sad to say. You should always read about their shipping and handling prior to buying at auctions. I know my past dealing with theses internet auction places.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Buyer Beware!!!!! Always know your cost, to you, and or final cost BEFORE you bid or buy anything. That is how some of the "Evil Bay" guys make even more money on what is seemingly a good price, they clip you through the shipping. When I sell, I know within $2-3.00 what shipping will be. When I deal with other countries, I always tell them (they usually ask before bidding) but you can put it in the auction site, that if someone from a foreign country bids, the bid wins, but I will pkg up, and get their address after the auction close, and then give them the shipping actual!! I can also do that with a guy who requests it after the auction. That is the fair way to do things on the "Evil Bay" and or privately too!! I do not try to profit on shipping. If I make an extra 2-$5.00 I consider that cost of packing materials, time, taking to p.o. and back again till the money arrives, so don't feel making a few dollars is unethical at all for the above things I stated. Usually I am within $1-2.00 Regal

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I too consider the shipping cost in ANY purchase I make. BAck when I could drive to Ridge Road station or when I plan a trip east and can stop at Wholesale Trains/Lantz's in Horseheads NY It is usually a part of another trip so teh cost to drive there is not factored in as much. Lately I came across a piece of rolling stock under $20 and was goign to watch it until I noted the shipping price was $45. More than the LGB car originally sold for 20 years ago. No thanks I'll pass. It's not a "must have" piece and there are VERY few of those anymore.

Chas

·
Registered
25 Posts
PURE GREED wtf are you talkin about!I was asking a legit question about a auction [email protected] url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/CEHtmlEditorProvider/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
What about when you go to a real live auction and they specify that there is "Buyer's Premium" (talk about a Madison Avenue spin on words!). That "Buyer's Premium" is a charge in addition to what you bid. If you bid $100.00 and win and they have a 20-percent "Buyer's Premium" then you have to pay $120.00 before you get what you won with your bid. Some also tack on a fixed fee of $5.00 to $10.00 in addition to the "Buyer's Premium".

I asked one time why they had this additional charge and got two answers, 1) it increases the amount that the actual seller gets. and 2) you should see how much the east coast auction houses charge!

I knew the people that had contracted the auction house to sell the estate so I asked if the "Buyer's Premium" netted them more money and the answer was an angry, "NO! they still took 50 percent of the proceeds!"

I quit going to auctions.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By oldmainlinejohnny on 12 Feb 2011 06:07 PM
PURE GREED wtf are you talkin about!I was asking a legit question about a auction [email protected] url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/CEHtmlEditorProvider/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css); Quite frankly, I really don't see how you jumped to the conclusion that Santafe 2343 was replying to you, since he didn't quote your reply, and there are 4 interveining replys. As far as I can see he was replying to the topic's originator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[email protected] url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/CEHtmlEditorProvider/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);

1 - 20 of 29 Posts