G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know about these hoses? One end had the stainer and I would think check valve.
What kid of fitting would have been on the pump end? What diameter hose would have been used. I'll use the stainer but need to replace the plastic tubing that came with my Bachmann Shay with something better looking? How about color?
What have other people used for hose? Appreciate and advice.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I used a cotton rope soaked with thinned white glue to simulate a cotton-covered fire hose. I used the Bachmann strainer end like you are planning to do, but I fashioned the other end to look like a fire hose fitting (which many of these hoses were, by the way.) For those that don't know,the hose is used to pick up water for the loco while working in the high woods away from an engine facility. The hose would be dipped into a stream or river to pick up water. After I soaked the rope in the glue I first covered the hangers on the side of the Shay with aluminum foil and draped the hose over them to dry. When dry, I paintedtthe hose a dirty light tan color to, again, simulate the fire hose look. Using the rope you can make the hose any length you need. My hose depicts a hose diameter of approx. 3".

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
H,

You can also use the shoelaces from trainers - old ones will do quite well (recycling rules OK!) ; make a fitting for the end from bits of tube, and color the hose with thin paint and glue as above.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
From what I've read, these hoses would have been fairly heavy, rubberized hoses because they were used for drawing water up from a creek, i.e., suction. They wouldn't be cloth hoses like a typical fire hose, rather they'd be larger diameter and harder. These would more resemble the heavy, almost rigid black hoses carried on some fire equipment for drawing water from a portable pool, pond, or other body of water where city hydrants aren't available.

Later,

K

·
Registered
688 Posts
On a fire engine they are called suction or "hard suction" hose. As Kevin said they are made of rubber sometimes supported by some type of coil spring, newer styles are designed like corrugated pipe. The early hard suction hose was made from leather again with some type of coil spring for support so it wouldn't collapse. They typically have brass fittings as well to eliminate corrosion. Cotton hose, even double jacket cotton cannot be used to draft because it A: would collapse and B: suck too much air through the seams to acheieve a draft.

I would assume the same theory would apply to a loco draft hose. Also if you want to get real technical, a high elevation railroad (read mountain line) would have a shorter draft hose or possibly no draft hose because they wouldn't be able to lift water as high as a low altitude railroad. I don't know the actual parameters, but in North East Ohio we can only lift about 12-16 ft whereas I've been told Florida engines can lift over 20 ft. Of course lift would be eliminated if you were at grade with your water source, say next to a pond or creek, rather than above it.

Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts