G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To put it lightly, this past weekend was MOMENTOUS!. Not only did the Harbor Springs Area Historical Society and the Michigan Small Scale Live Steamers (MSSLS, LLC) celebrate the 178th anniversary of the birth of Ephraim Shay, the Historical Society announced that the famous Ephraim Shay hexagonal house had been gifted to the Harbor Springs Area Historical Society.

The significance of the gift of the Shay House, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, cannot be understated. As stated by Mary Cummings, Executive Director of the Historical Society: “Mary Cay Jones has entrusted us with this historic treasure, and we will continue to steward the building as she has done during her 30-year ownership.

Already, the Historical Society has had an architectural assessment of the building completed. Now it has embarked upon development of a strategic plan for fundraising which will enable the full restoration of the 1892 structure and provide for its continued maintenance and preservation. Just think, it is 125 years old this year.

Here's the link to the Historical Society's press release: http://harborspringshistory.org/news-events/our-blog/entry/shay-hexagon-house-gifted-to-historical-society

Photographs of the exterior of Shay House, steamup operations and a video compilation will follow.

As for the Michigan Small Scale Live Steamers, it's support of the Harbor Springs Area Historical Society started in 1998, so next year it will be the 20th anniversary of our first involvement with the Shay Days celebration.

This year, live steam operations were continuous from early Friday morning through the cutting of the birthday cake (too windy for candles) Saturday afternoon. Eight modelers, three from the Harbor Springs area and five from southern Michigan operated a wide variety locomotives with many versions of Shays getting track time. There were also a couple different Climaxes and a Willi. In addition, a couple rod locos were given an opportunity to take advantage of the wide radius curves on Ron Kurtz' beautiful portable layout. A link to a video compilation will be added upon my return home later this week.

One final note, the Michigan Small Scale Live Steamers new layout has been ordered and it should be available by the end of the summer. It will be good to get back to more normal operations with the new, lighter and easier to handle layout.

Regards,

Will Lindley

·
Super Modulator
20,567 Posts
Because the 20th anniversary was of the Harbor Springs Area Historical Society, not of the Michigan small scale live steamers?

I had to read the post twice myself.

Greg 954

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I have the photo history of the MSSLS club from conception until 2016 when the club changed hands. The first Shay Days participation with the club was 2003.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
SHAY DAYS is this weekend at Harbor Springs, Michigan. They will have a birthday Cake for Ephron Shay for his birthday is this weekend. This Event was Started By Bruce Gathman Ernie Noa and some other Live Steamers in 1998 There was no Club at this time just friends
They were running Small Scale 1/20th Gear Steam Engines Shay ,Climax , Heisler. It is really nice to see His Steel house and all that He did is the Harbor Springs area.
If You can make this one You will not be sorry, It will be a great weekend
We started Running Michigan Small Live Steamers at Shay Days in 2003 ,When We first started the Club,Then Bruce Gathman joined Michigan Small Live Steamers and invited us to the Event. There is a Video when I was Interviewed as President of MSSLS it was done by the TV 26 Station.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Here is Bob's interview mentioned above. In the interview he states the year 1993 when it was actually 2003.

Don't know how to post a video link. If anyone can help, please do.

If not, here is the direct link.

http://www.minews26.com/content/?p=32712

·
Super Modulator
20,567 Posts
Yeah, they gave up their web site and are on farcebook... in the about it says founded 2003...

So who is wrong? I looked on the web, cannot find any references prior to 2003, but that does not mean a lot.

Greg 949

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Greg, We started MSSLS in 2003.There were 7 of us that started the Club 1 John Fuller,2.Beverly Fuller,3.Fred Gandolfi,4.Bill Kay,5.Tom Myers,6.Tom Toth 7.Bob Weltyk
In the TV interview My first Time on TV and I was very nerviest, and said the wrong start date for the Club, I said 1993 and I should have said 2003 I had a Senior Moment
The TV station had a another thing they had to be at so they could not fix My Mistake

·
Super Modulator
20,567 Posts
That is completely understandable, the first time I was on TV same thing! Thanks for solving the "mystery" ha ha!

It looks like you guys tried to have a web site once, but it never took off, was searching mssls.com and found the relics of a site...

Facebook self-maintains, much less effort than a full blown web site... I now manage ours here in Sandy Eggo.

Regards,

Greg 945

1 - 9 of 9 Posts