G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Walter,

I agree with Pete on the plastic. Our club layout has been down for 12+ years, and as Pete eluded to the biggest issue we deal with is settling (Florida doesn't get much frost heave). Based on the description of the area you have to work with, 30 x 6, I don't see too many Big Boys running on your layout. For portability you might consider a hybrid construction technique. Consider 2 x 4 PT framing and a spline type road bed on top. PT will last a long time IF it is allowed to dry after it gets wet. Keep the main framing up off the ground on short legs. Use the pyramid blocks for decks to support your framing, keeping the PT out of the ground. Screw the legs to the framing so if necessary you can make vertical adjustments. Due to the narrow width you will likely be using 4 foot circles on the ends unless you do a strictly point to point. That tight a radius I would recommend the plastic spline, it can be bent fairly tight if laid in the sun to get warm, the warmer the better. Check this link for a good idea or where I am going with my description, it is base loosely on this layout http://lsc.cvsry.com/POC_Elevated_Benchwork.pdf

1 - 1 of 1 Posts