G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The once tallest building in the world will be renamed the"Willis Tower" this summer as the Willis Holdings Group takes residence in the building.

Now I understand that things will and must change in life but as we sell off everything in this country I gotta ask........WTF! Sometimes things are what they are. It's kinda like I never got used to the Nextel Cup then it became the Sprint Cup. I just refer to it as "The Cup", Lowe's Motor Speedway will always be Charlotte Motor Speedway, What ever the he!! they call Candlestick will always be Candlestick, etc, etc, etc!!!!!!!!! I gotta wonder when the Dan-Ryan will become the Chung King Hwy or the Eisenhower will become the MetLife Hwy!?!?! Hey how about renaming the Golden Gate bridge _____________________ or better yet is the name of our country up for grabs yet!?!?! I gotta a couple real doozies!!!!!! Unfortunately they can't be said in this forum. No this is not a political discussion or even the prelude to one but I am sick and tired of the fact that we are no longer citizens but consumers and EVERYTHING has to revolve around the fricken almighty dollar. In greed we trust!

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
So you're gonna be upset when I sell the naming rights to the forum?? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
No this is not a political discussion or even the prelude to one but I am sick and tired of the fact that we are no longer citizens but consumers and EVERYTHING has to revolve around the fricken almighty dollar. In greed we trust!

What do you think Sears does? It sells things and is a business that "revolves around the ....almighty dollar".

I don't get the rant...it's a piece of real estate not the Washington Monument, the Statue of Liberty or the Grand Canyon....and it's like 7th tallest building now so it's not even in the top 5.

Sears, Roebuck & Co., now based in Hoffman Estates, finished construction on the office building in 1973 but has not had offices in it since 1992. At the time it was the tallest building in the world and built for what was then the world's largest retailer. It was eclipsed in 1998 and is now the skyscraper is the tallest in the Western Hemisphere.

A spokeswoman for Sears said the retailer was not approached about striking a deal to keep its name on the building. "We're saddened but we don't own the rights to the building."

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts

They can call it anything they want, architectural history books will always record the buildings original name, for example in Chicago the Reliance Building is still the Reliance Building despite 100 years of names

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
May only be a piece of real estate but what you going to do when they rename the Grand Canyon and Statue of liberty. It can happen so be Prepared
Later RJD

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
May only be a piece of real estate but what you going to do when they rename the Grand Canyon and Statue of liberty. It can happen so be Prepared

Yah - along with the same probability that Gary Busey will start making sense...

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Posted By cmjdisanto on 03/12/2009 2:43 PM
...the fricken almighty dollar.
[edited]

There's soon gonna be so many F.A.D.s out there, the way the gov'mint is printing 'em that they'll be worth about 2 to the peso. Then they'll change the name to some global currency, like 'The Gotcha', for that sorta international sound. Catchy, huh?

Les

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Who's Willis????????????

When you give all your money away to foreign countries they come over and buy you out. They are even buying up foreclosed houses. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when the US can no longer afford to defend the world and pulls our military back. Who will take up the slack then?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Posted By Russell Miller on 03/12/2009 3:03 PM
NEXTEL Cup??? What was that?
It will always be The WINSTON Cup !  
Russ

Amen!!!! It drives them nuts when I call it that! 

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I imagine the Willis Holdings Group can give any name they want to their privately owned property. Should the Gov't start naming private property?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Posted By xo18thfa on 03/12/2009 8:18 PM
I imagine the Willis Holdings Group can give any name they want to their privately owned property. Should the Gov't start naming private property?

Er, with the new Supreme Court descision re eminent domain--where a city can seize private property and sell it to others in order to generate higher taxes-- in what sense do you use the term 'private property'?

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Posted By Les on 03/12/2009 8:40 PM
Posted By xo18thfa on 03/12/2009 8:18 PM

Er, with the new Supreme Court descision re eminent domain--where a city can seize private property and sell it to others in order to generate higher taxes-- in what sense do you use the term 'private property'?

I suppose if the Gov't seizes the building then they can name it want ever they want. Due process of law -- right? How many of these eminent domain cases have actually occurred?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Posted By xo18thfa on 03/12/2009 8:54 PM
  How many of these eminent domain cases have actually occurred? 

We had one on music row in Nashville. A small business owner fought the city for over a year and a half. Public pressure finally caused the city to relent.

Jack 

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I know of at least one, personally, here in St.L. and a few others in FL via Limbaugh's radio program. If not seized, in litigation. Either way, the owners are dispossessed.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
This takes the cake for the lamest topic ever on MLS.. Move on..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts