G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gazillion files stored on MLS dating back to 2005. I often want to find something and can't figure out where it is. Anyone know a fast way to search the whole thing for a file name ?

(I'd love to rename the files and reorganize, but then all my threads would get screwed - if any are left!)

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Pete:

I'm having the same problem. Now I can only get posts back to last January. I think that this past summer I was able to go all the way back.

To get this years posts I click on my name in the upper left corner of a post that I have written. A small box opens with 4 items. One is "find more posts by Chuck N" That used to get everything, now it only goes back to last January. I hope you get a useful answer!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Pete,
I get there by first being logged in,then go to home page and then members. It should be there.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/

Then you can do ctrl-F to search.

Scot
Scot,
I know how to log in -those hundreds of photos got there because I uploaded them!

They are in dozens of folders. ctrl-F only searches what is on the screen. I frepeat:

Anyone know a fast way to search the whole thing for a file name ?
I really need to FTP in and use some other search tools - but FTP doesn't seem to be allowed.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Scot,
I know how to log in -those hundreds of photos got there because I uploaded them!

They are in dozens of folders. ctrl-F only searches what is on the screen. I frepeat:

I really need to FTP in and use some other search tools - but FTP doesn't seem to be allowed.
No need to be snotty about it.
you didnt say any of that in your original post.
you asked a question, I answered it.

you can use FTP..I have FTP set up with MLS on my home computer,
I will post how I have set up when I get home tonight.

Scot

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
I use FTP Commander with no problems.
It is how I upload all my photos to my MLS 1st Class file space.

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
I can see all my posts for about the last year by using the "Search" tab in the blue bar that starts with "Home".

Under the "Search forum" field I type in my user name and click on "show posts". This brings up all of my posts since last November 27th. I can click on the title of the thread and get the thread.

It also that specific post was entered a year ago. So far, so good.

The next post on the page indicates that it was posted on June 23 and the tag on the bottom line says four years ago. I have lost three years of posts.

If I click on the title of the June 23 post I am not directed to my post, but to the forum home page where all the forums are listed. Continuing down the list of posts, the last one I come to is dated July 3 (6 years ago). Which is probably about when I joined. I have been a member since 2008.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I can see all my posts for about the last year by using the "Search" tab in the blue bar that starts with "Home".

Under the "Search forum" field I type in my user name and click on "show posts". This brings up all of my posts since last November 27th. I can click on the title of the thread and get the thread.

It also that specific post was entered a year ago. So far, so good.

The next post on the page indicates that it was posted on June 23 and the tag on the bottom line says four years ago. I have lost three years of posts.

If I click on the title of the June 23 post I am not directed to the forum home page where all the forums are listed. Continuing down the list of posts, the last one I come to is dated July 3 (6 years ago). Which is probably about when I joined. I have been a member since 2008.

Chuck
Nice feature! I never knew that was there..
I just tried it out with my posts, and it seems to show all my posts from 2009 to today. Im not sure if it has literally *every* post, but it seems like it probably does..It shows a lot of posts for each year from 2009-2014, 20 pages worth.

Chuck, did you try "find my posts" instead of searching for your username?
what does that bring up?

Scot

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Scot could you open the older posts?

The "find my posts" just takes me to last January. That is all it shows, last 500 posts. I had no idea I'd posted that many in the past 10 months.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Interesting..
If I choose "find my posts" at the bottom of the search window, it shows 20 pages of returns, but they only go back to 10-7-2013, nothing older. and I can open all the threads.

If I choose "find my threads", (that brings up threads I started myself, where I made the first post.)
It brings up 4 pages of returns, going back to 1-2-2008.
and they also all open.
The 2008 date is when Shad did a major forum upgrade, and posts before 2008 were lost.
So the "find my threads" features seems to be finding all my threads for "this incarnation" of MLS, going back to January 2008. No one will probably have threads or posts older than that.

If I do:
search
enter my username in the search field.
click on "show posts", then search.
I get 20 pages of returns, but only back to 3/23/2009.
the 2008 posts are now missing when I search that way.
and yes, they all open.

Looks like "Find my threads" brings back the oldest returns, back to 2008.
but those are only threads you yourself started..that doesnt show all the posts you made in threads someone else started.

Scot

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Scot

Verrrry Interesting! I too can open through the past year. Beyond that I can find them, except for the three missing years, but can't open them.

What search engine are you using? I'm using Firefox.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No need to be snotty about it.
you didnt say any of that in your original post.
Scot,
I wasn't being snotty - I originally asked how to search "the whole thing". In my original post.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just tried it, and I can also log in using my browser (Chrome - not that it makes any difference), and using Windows Explorer (the file manager). The latter should make your searches easy as you can search subdirectories as well.
Dwight,
I'd love to get in using IE or Firefox, and I've tried FTP on both. But it doesn't work. Nor does CuteFTP.

My username is fine - http://gold.mylargescale.com/petethornton/IMG_3353-lights-6.jpg

But the password that I use to log in via the browser access (and to MLS forums as well) is NOT accepted.

I'm using the old 6-character password I've had since 2005, so maybe the new forums need 8 characters? As you all claim it works, I guess the next trick is to change my password and try again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts