G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my spare time, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been working on an outside frame chain drive unit (similar to the Geese) that will easily mount into freight/passenger trucks. Since chain drives are a passion of mine and there are no commercial drive units available, with the help of Eric Christensen (a very good friend and great modeler), we've created a universal chain drive unit that will fit just about every large scale 2 axle truck. The design can also be utilized for a single axle non-chain drive.
The goal was to design a drive unit that would could be utilized by the novice/expert and affordable. Please keep in mind that the drive units and photos are copywrite protected.
The drive units will also be available at the upcoming Riverbend Model RR Club Show, Grand Rapids, MI, January 10, 2009, Also the next Gratiot, MI show March 1, 2009.
The photo below is the latest prototype drive unit utilizing a old Delton passenger truck (trucks are currently available through Hartland). I'll be making modifications for adjustability to utilize Bachmann, LBG, Aristocraft, etc. trucks.

Thanks,
Marc

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but doesn't North West Short Line make something called "Magic Carpet" drive? It fits between the wheels of the truck and is basically the same system that the prototype uses.

I may be mistaken about the above. Correct me if I am.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
More info please! Yes, NWSL does make a "magic carpet" but from what I understand they're not really suited to outside operation -- not quite robust enough -- and sort of expensive, IMHO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am very interested in this as it would be a hopefully inexpensive way to build powered trucks for trolleys etc...

Clang! Clang!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
A great number of years ago, I built a "Steamcoach", in 1:24, by combining a Bachmann combine kit and a NENG Porter kit.

Here's a photo of the completed unit:

I became very impatient with the not-so-good drive mechanism provided by NENG. I removed the motor unit and drive gear, purchased a "Magic Carpet Drive" and installed it on the rear truck. Although the unit has little power, it was sufficient to power my steamcoach up at least a 2% grade. In order to get a little more traction, I had to make up a portable/removeable 1lb. weight. I place it over the rear truck between the rows of seats when running.

It's hard to see much detail but here's a photo of the installed drive.

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Doc

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Add one more 'interested' to that list. Pictures would be great! I don't think I could ever find a picture of the Magic Carpet Drive when I looked last time, either.
Any chance they will be built in the USA?

Keep us posted!
Matt

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Doc,
That's the best photograph I have ever seen of a Magic Carpet drive. Much better than NWSL's catalog.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi All,
Hope the holidays are going well for you.
No one is bursting my bubble.
NWSL designed these to simulate motors utilized on Interurban lines, etc.
I am building the drive units for outside chain drive between both wheels. No motor or large gearbox, designed to be utilized with a drive shaft linked to the motor upfront.
I have the prototype somewhat mached up.
Please keep in mind, these are copywritten photos of the my copywritten design.
Thanks all,
Marc
p.s. I like the Porter/car bash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I gotta support the request for pics. I'd like to see what the whole product you offer is.

Line two, because I hate one-line posts.

Cuhail :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Happy New Year All!
Interesting, I'm also bashing a die cast 1:18 1924 Cleveland Roadster and 1924 Ford PU, 1:20.3 Hubley Ford Woodie utilizing the chain and sprockets.

Rough cut on the frame

Drive components

I finally found some 5.5mm ID ball bearings for the impeller shaft for the outside frame gear drive.
Check out the photos I posted at the beginning of this topic.

I've also started another bash on a 2 axle Aristocraft caboose - check out the new post.

Thanks,

Marc

1 - 20 of 27 Posts