G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeap, I went downstairs to grab an O scale model to guide me!
I have a bunch of projects and they got moved to the backburner now that I've got some plastic!
The biggest difference I think, is the nose is much higher. Joe

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I filled in the nose area where there's another angle..... I added holes for the sand filler pipes...... now I'm cutting the sides of the long hood. There's a grill on the long hood behind the cab up high near the exhaust.. I can't tell what's behind it... some kind of shape that looks like a crown???? I'm thinking it's the way the side is cut for airflow???

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
USA on the dynamic brake (1/29), the reg fans are Aristo just sitting in until I make some. I have a nikon if I could just figure it out. I'm trying to show the whole engine in 1 pic. What should I take a close up of? Something you'd like to see better? I think the picture size reduction ( to meet the rules), changes the quality a little? The top pics look better though?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nope, no car or loco. Just plugging my way through this. Seemed straight forward enough to do.
I figure if it stinks, I'll just go Adams family with it! I always wanted to blow up the bridge!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Geez, I'm really humbled. There's not much to tell as I just started them. #70 mesh run through my hand corrugator thing from the craft store. I'm going to build frames for the mesh so they look like the current model's screens.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well, the frame is a flat, thick piece of plastic right now. I'm planning on attaching pilots with steps to either end and filling in with plastic I beam. I'll have to establish the correct ride height first and may have to correct the I beam height for truck swing.
I believe I've read that the cab is the same on the SD90 as the ace!!! That will save a step for me down the road.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yeap, that looks like a sd70 (Mac) cab. Maybe the Iso?
From the book Modern Diesel Power, "..... some of the locos (sd90macs) feature the newer cab, others featured the older style of the North Amer Safety cab introduced in the early 1990s......., Today the modern angular cab style is standard on both the SD70M-2 and SD70ACe."per Brian Solomon

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yeap, I made some more with tougher screen. The first ones seemed flimsy. I was afraid they'd get bent when handled. I may have to experiment with materials to find the best strength, painted looks, vs realism.

1 - 19 of 32 Posts