G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As was common before the age of self-contained refrigerator cars, a high-speed truck-fitted reefer car ran immediately behind the tender of an express passenger train. Its purpose was to rush fresh fruit from the Pacific ports - in this case Vancouver - into the hinterland hotels and restaurants - Lake Louise, Banff and so on.

As there are plenty of models of steel-sided reefers, MTH and Accucraft, but no wood-sheathed, I had to build my own, using styrene siding and scraps, and a pair of Bachmann passenger car trucks, suitably modified.

The only other parts I bought were the door fittings [never again], a couple of white metal and couplings brake components from Ozark Miniatures and couplings from the usual maker. 16. All else was either scrap styrene and wood or parts from old plastic kits.
Wood Shelf Vehicle Automotive exterior Tire

Rectangle Wood Slope Composite material Groundcover

Building Wood Real estate Building material Flooring

Wood Cabinetry Gas Machine Shelving

Train Vehicle Rolling stock freight car Wheel

Decals from the late and much-missed Stan Cedarleaf, and plans from fellow Gauge 1-er, David Morgan-Kirby.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
These kits by GAL line are commercially available but your build is far superior. I have started drawings for a laser cut plywood car but am a while out before they can be cut. Beautiful work!!
Thanks for the heads-up! I actually bought a part-wrecked resin version a year or so back, but it is in a poor state, requiring extensive repairs - even the sprung trucks are made of resin, and broken - although I'm more than happy to do them. I'm stuck right now with missing ladders and a single door hinge. When I bought the hinges - lost-wax castings from an American company - they ended up getting treated as jewellery by the Customs and cost me me $72.00 - the list price was around $12.

Now that Stan Cedarleaf is no longer around - my go-to source of Can/US decals, I'm a bit stuck for them, too, but I can try Tom Eivers on this side of the pond - Endon Valley Decals. His mostly Welsh NG line stuff is nothing short of exquisite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your reffer looks outstanding!
BTW: I now make my own water slide decals (Except white). You can purchase decal paper from Amazon and other online sources. The sheets can be purchased as either clear or white bacground and for use in either an inkjet or laser printer. I created a document on my printer, give the ink a few minutes to completely dry, spray the printed surface with clear glossy acrylic, and let that dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
Cut out the created decal, soak it in warm water for a couple of minutes, and apply the decal.
Micromark sells a " setting solution". which is supposed to help smooth the decal and help bond the decal. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts