G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lord of the Steam
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the the weather in Scranton and along I-81 has been a bit dicey this past weekend and I see the weather prognosticators have snow in the offering for this week.  I'm planning on going (finally) to the steamup, but was wondering if weather has ever been a factor in the past.  I know the event is indoors, but would hate to make 4-6 hour trek up there and find it cancelled due to weather issues.

Any updates on the event?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Scott
If you are going to stay overnight, might want to check hotel availability.

I remember one year the weather forecast was quite good at the start of the weekend then 1-3 inches of snow that turned into about a foot throughout the Northeast-one never knows.

At this point a bit of mixture and cold for Sunday that could effect travel. We plan to stay through Monday so might be okay going home.

·
Lord of the Steam
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I got a room at the Red Carpet Inn on Franklin Street, just around the corner from the museum and Steamtown.

See ya there! - Bringing the WADA Brulington Northern Zephyr as well as the usual steamies: Regner Conrad, Roundhouse Forney, Fort Wilderness.

Scott

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Jane and I will be at the Econo Lodge in Moosic like last year and looking forward to the steaming and fellowship especially since I didn't get to see most of the NE guys at Diamondhead.
I haven't decided which steamers to bring yet but I'll have an assortment to play with, not departing until Monday afternoon. With Mike's big and little tracks and my little one as well there should be no problem with track time.
See you there,
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scott,
The last weather report I saw this evening showed some snow possible for monday but saturday and sunday look good so far. Tomorrow and wednesday look like a mess of snow / freezing rain but that should all be cleaned up for the weekend.
Hope to see you there,
Rob

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Scott, Tom, et al,

I'll be there Saturday morning, assuming I don't get a repeat of last year stuck on top of the mountain in snow while waiting for an accident to clear. That took about 4 hours.

Watching the weather. Looks OK so far.

Mike McCormack
Hudson, Massachusetts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
As with all weather forecast, changing and 50% chance of being correct:
Mon
Feb 18

Mostly Cloudy 32°[/b]/22° 20%

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
A bonus this coming weekend might be to hitch a ride have to check the schedule at the park when I get there

Running from Steamtown  to Moscow PA the CN 2-8-2 in a prior run

·
Lord of the Steam
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Packing List Question: Do I need to bring a folding table and chair? Or are they provided, or is there even room for such as extras? I have the steamers and diesels staged at the door (actually they have been there since Diamondhead) and will be packing the car this evening for an afternoon departure tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Scott
Space is a bit tight given that there is a big 1:1 Trolley in the center of the track.  With that said there are tables and some other space outside the layout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts