21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Lord of the Steam
615 Posts
Try the new link I've made. - Scott

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Thanks to Mike Moore and Scott for bringing their tracks for us to enjoy this past weekend:

Mike's Mini layout:

Next to it the standard for portable layouts the main track:

Wonderful to have Ron and Marie at this event

A great deal of variety from the entry level Ruby to the custom made coal fired engine could be seen running along the rails.

Dick enjoying many runs on the track that he is a founding member(and chief switch maintainer) of, in particular the switch throw design.

George had the attractive Marklin out for several steaming sessions

Mike learned the firing characteristics of his newly acquired Maxwell Hemmings Porter

Dr. Rivet and Ryan prep his engine for a run

A stellar performer the CP Hudson

Stan is admiring his retrofitted Mountain from a Britsh freelance design, now to an Americanized version of a coal fired engine

Still to come a spot of paint and some tender letter will complete the job

Speaking of projects and improvements of steam power: Refinements by Justin:

Project 1

Project #2

Frank and company with a show of steam from the other side of the pond

A very popular and good performing engine is the new 0-6-0 switcher, here triple heading

Then we had the various attempts at measuring performance such as the highly modified (TRS/GW) retrofitted GS4, this one dubbed the "Nautilus":
Pulling 175 lbs. of coaches with ease:

Then there was the AC-12 proving that size does matter with 50 cars that took up half the track length from center of curve to center of curves pulling 50 freight cars

Quite a bit of switching was onging from moving freight to towing to the shops.....

Switching along with encouraging the youth to participate was done by Mike Moore and Dr. Tom

Much more throughout the weekend: WM Shay, K 27, Garrett, and the list goes on, but the camera was limited due to duties as track Marshall ...so others might have gotten the photos of other steam in action.

End of track...the best impression thanks tp Alan for his efforts in research and development of the sign

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
A great event this past weekend with lots of spectators. Here are another few pictures:

A very polite 7-year old asked Scott MacDonald, "When will #4449 run?" He and his little brother and father and grandfather were back well in advance of the appointed hour. Look carefully in the first picture at the folded hands on the 4 year old little brother. I think Dad must have had the "... look but don't touch" talk!

The pictures above reminded me of when my dad took my brother and me train watching!

Here are a few more:

Triple headed 0-6-0s

Stan's first time out with another Garrett that he unwrapped at the show. He sure appears happy:

And speaking of happy, Scott MacDonald's smile says it all:

Alan and Scott with the San Joaquin Daylight reenacting Alan's Tehachapi helper tee shirt (The Cab Forward even has train #52 on its boards)

George's Royal Hudson side-by-side with a Daylight GS-4:

Will upload some videos tomorrow for posting.

It was a great event!

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Thanks Alan,
Your pictures are wonderful. I did notice an apparent lack of K-27s and K-28s, or you just missed them. I especially like the looks on the kid's faces and the fact that the little one is looking with his eyes and not his hands.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Here is a video of part of the meet. There is a lot that I missed, including several K27s and K28s that Carl commented on. The final shot of the video is the new San Joaquin Daylight "neon" tail sign from Charles' post above.

Thanks go to Clem (and Mike and Mary) for organizing things, to Mike Moore for his two tracks, and to Scott MacDonald for binging his track and spending most of two days helping visitors understand how our live steamers work.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks to all who provided the track . Good company and a good time ,this was my first run on a large indoor track and my K ran great. just a little disapointed that there was only one half hour time slot left after all the travel but next year I will stay over and do 2 days. thanks again to all those involved. Rick Rubino

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Rick
Glad you made it to the meet....

If possible try to make your stay Sunday and Monday. Monday the few of us that were there had many runs throughout the day.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts