G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be exactly a building question, but I'm building a school house for my layout and suddenly realized that I don't have any school buses.  Does anyone have knowledge of sources for school bus vehicles?  I would prefer something from the 40's or 50's to coincide with my modeling period.  Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Rich.........
I've seen school buses on e-bay............ I havn't been able to find one in the scale "I" want.............but tere's a few on there........

Hope this helps...:cool:

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Rich,
If you do a search in buildings or figures in the MLS archives, there have been extensive threads about school busses.  The closest to "G" I have seen is an older dyecast [no interior] bus by Hubley.

The one I have models a '58 chevy chasis.  I got mine on Ebay.  It  is about 3'w x 10'L x 3.5'T.  There is one listed on Ebay now, at :

cgi.ebay.com/HUBLEY-SCHOOL-BUS_W0QQitemZ300184029540QQcmdZViewItem

I paid less for mine than this one is listed for as "Buy it Now."

JimC.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I found one at the local discount store chain called OLIIE'S here in Maryland...

It had no scale listed... but I imagine its a bit smaller than 1/32 scale...

If I keep it away from other cars it looks ok..,. but all my cars are 1/24th and when you put it next to them it looks tiny...

It was the best  could fnd... 

Seems all the school busses are too small...

Philip

·
Been around awhile
134 Posts
Rich

Wouldn't a bus be easier to model than some of the buildings and locomotives I've seen shown at MLS? Could bash any other truck in your scale, right?

Dave

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,
Your suggestion may be the final solution. I've a number of period trucks that could be modified. That will be in line after I modify several bridges to accommodate the new K-27 and AMS stock. I suspect there really aren't any (school buses) available either. A couple of years ago, I talked to a rep from Danbury Mint and suggested the same. His response was "interesting", but I've not seen anything materialize.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok the deal is this a Hong Kong company (name excapes me at the moment ) put out a classic school bus a few years ago and it was sold at Kay Bee toys. It was perfect 1/24 scale. It has since disappeared. I bought a few and sent one to Bob Whipple. We both posted pictures on this site but as I said that was a few years ago. BTW the buses were all metal. Then our pal John of Plain Old Folks ( I believe in New Jersey) had school buses that were plastic but looked like 1/24 at the Queen Mary show and we bought some of those. I leave my stuff out but the plastic ones faded and got very brittle not a problem if you pick them up and only put them out when people are coming. So I use them now and remove them when no company is coming. Sooooo if I were you I would contact John and ask him about them because he was the last dealer I know of that had them. I hope this info helps.:)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

Howard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
hehe

My dad launched into that speech once, barefoot in the winter time through 4ft of snow. Till I said, "Dad, you grew up in Oklahoma."

He smiled and said, "I dilly-dallied the whole while too."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Now, if Torby were to say he walked to school barefoot..I'd believe him.  I don't think I've seen him with shoes on../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well there's this

Skool Bus

But besides being one of the strangest die-casts I've ever seen, it's clearly not your desired era.  Too bad, as there's not many busses in 1:24 scale from the 40s and 50s. 

I've been looking for any bus for a very long time that would be suitable to repaint as a Rio Grande Trailways bus.  Of course there's been nothing even remotely close so far.  Just have to wait and see I guess.  But you'd think a school bus would be easier to find.  However, even in HO scale, there's nothing really good as far as vintage school busses go.  I'd sure like to get a Crown Coach "Twinkie" bus for my 1950s Santa Fe HO layout, but here too I've struck out so far.

If 1:18 is okay, then this might work:

School Bus

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.