G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
I just read an article in a local paper about the San Jose Museum.  I was really happy to see this as I'd heard of reassembling the roundhouse at some future location, but this was many, many years ago and  hadn't heard anything since.  Here's a web site detailing the proposal that includes photos and a walking tour.

I well remember the San Jose Roundhouse when it was still in operation, serving as a dismal servicing facility.  I fact, back in the early 80's when I was scratchbuilding a roundhouse for my then-HOn3 layout, I went to the San Jose Roundhouse several times to study and take photos of the roof bracing, etc.  My roundhouse duplicated this roof bracing with a unique truss arrangement.

I'd really like to see this museum project move rapidly forward!

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
Thanks Gents. Overall, it was about an 8 month project start to finish. I'd never seen roof trusses like that before with steel cable tensioners. Somewhere I still have the old original photos I took back then. I was really saddened when that roundhouse was removed, and glad that it was disassembled instead of demolished. I'm looking forward to them reassembling it and being able to walk into it again! The rest of the park with the original water tower and station replica looks really cool too!! Can't happen fast enough for me!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.