G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumors go around that our electric bill will go up ca 40 % ,so its time to save some $ and invest in a live steam loco so you can disconnect your sparky(additionally i removed the lightbulb in my fridge,saves 25 bucks a year)(i find my beer in the dark)

Manfred Diel
S#1313 Happy Steaming!!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Seriously Manfred!?! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif You think you're cans of compressed gas are more energy efficient than electricity? Next you'll be telling us commuting in our own cars is more energy efficient than mass public transit! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

-Brian

·
Registered
844 Posts
Seriously Manfred ??? Brian, you’ve done 242 posts on this site; surely by now you have realized that no one who posts here is serious. Except me of course.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Well he missed another factoid. those bulbs are LESS efficient consumers of electric if used for less then 20 minutes at a time. Using them for short periods also shortens their life span.
Good to see our goverment is clueless when it come to how we should light our homes.. WHY do they think we need to be told what KIND of light bulbs we should use? OH that right we're fighting global warming or is it global cooling this week well no mater they need to save us from our selves.. and as ALWAYS it has to cost us more money to do it their way... are we still allowed to burn those wax things with a wick in the center??

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Jeff (as I rip the soap box out from under you)

Don't you know GE makes twisty light blubs? And that congress mandated that into law because GE would either stop making campaign contributions or stop making the engines for congress' private jets. Geez, a guy like you should know that....

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
So, I take it from all that I'm reading, that I'm safe in putting LEDs in the headlights and markers of my locomotives. I certainly don't want to put an incandescant grain of rice or grain of wheat bulb in them and get suprised by the twisty light bulb police at some train meet. I don't think I could stand the humiliation.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The real question is - does the government mandate apply to us and will we have to have twisty bulbs installed before we can run at say the IE&W since this layout was built with taxpayer dollars?

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Bruce

Now that I have my internet connection back, I feel the need to express my disappointment at the cheap shot. I am sure many will have taken your remark in the humorous tone intended. However, since I live in the land of "beltway bandits", misappropriation of federal funds for personal use is not unknown, even in my own agency. So, for someone who takes his ethics as an employee seriously, this wasn't very funny.

It is true, most of the money used to construct and maintain the IE&W Railway came from the US Treasury and into my bank account as salary, but only because YOU aren't buying enough train related stuff from I E and W Railway Supply to generate sufficient revenue to support the railroad.

BTW, the corkscrew light bulbs are designed that way so they are easier to insert into various orifices of the 435 people who "work" in one particular building in downtown DC.

Regards

Jim

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Is it true that the post office is changing the ZIP code for Washington DC to 00000 since nothing there adds up?

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Bill

Would that be a +00000 or a -00000? There is a difference (if you are the right kind of computer).

Cheers

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dr. R,

I meant only that you had paid for it out of you and your wonderful wife's meager federal employee wages. Half of the layout is hers isn't it? Once this ratio is known an equation can be established.

Heck, I didn't even calculate in the great reduction your company profits(?) would have made in the equation. But of course, as a dealer, things are almost free anyway! But at today's shipping costs would have added to the bottom line immeasureably.

Let's get back to the fun stuff. I've got a big box on the front porch to open and see what kind of suprise is in it - most likely a 4-4-0 paid for with those military retirement wages.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Posted By Dr Rivet on 07/06/2008 3:02 PM
Bill
Would that be a +00000 or a -00000? There is a difference (if you are the right kind of computer).
Cheers

There's only a difference if you're on the WRONG kind of computer, the kind that uses ones complement arithmetic. Those negative zeroes were the reason some consumers used to get bills for $0.00 that would only go away if you sent a check for $0.00.:D

Mark

·
Registered
301 Posts
The cost of code 332 track, rail and other items is most certainly affected by currency values, hence the relevance of the above trend

cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts