G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I've kind of dropped off the radar. A few of you have asked what I've been working on lately. In between work and preaching, the past few months it seems like whatever hobby time I've had has been spent on making up kits for other people. Well, here's what I've been working on for myself:

(Cat not to scale)

The prototype:

In case you're wondering, this WILL NOT be offered as a kit. I only ran enough photoetch for what I wanted to build.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
SO!! You are alive and well. and not wasting time.

I guess this MAY be showing up in GRYs some time???

I am on bended knee before your great ness.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, no articles, no photos, no instructions. This one is just for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
LOVE the giant cat ! But gotta ask, Don't the neighbors complain?

Hopper looks awesome as well. How did you get the "wrinkles" in the sides?

Bill

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By wildbill001 on 11/08/2008 10:05 AM
LOVE the giant cat ! But gotta ask, Don't the neighbors complain?

Hopper looks awesome as well. How did you get the "wrinkles" in the sides?

Bill

An excellent model, Burl!

Bill,

Burl has an article in the August GR describing his weathering techniques.

-Brian

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those wrinkled side really make a difference. If it hadn't been for the cat it gives a very realistic touch. Not that the rest isn't excellent but it is the first time that I find the sides "lifelike": not flat as a mirror or beaten up beyond "well used". Very fine job you did.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Maybe I need to find a way to get up there and frame his garage so I can see his work up close and personal.
BTY
This is the first I have ever seen a car like this, what is it used for? I know hauling sand , but in construction, road crews??

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marty: they are in captive service for Lojac Inc.. Lojac owns the sand mine (2 miles up the road), and a block factory in Lebanon (~90 miles west).

G

·
0 Posts
Posted By Burl on 11/08/2008 10:38 AM
Bill: it's the same technique I used here: http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45880

BTW, if anyone knows how to model a sand load the cat can't bury tootsie rolls in, please let me know.

Burl,
Can you cast the sand then recast it to give you a cover or would the grains of sand be way to small for casting?
Another thought I had was ruff sand paper to cast the recast, that might work giving you the grain of sand texture you need.
Toad

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Very nice and an interesting car to model. Any Idea as to the manufacture of the prototype? Later RJD

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The manufacturer is NSC.

Making a mold of sand shouldn't be a problem, as long as its impermeable. I'm thinking I may try mixing damp sand with a little portland cement to make a pattern. If I can do that, I should be able to make a foam-core casting... but that's all just brainstorming at this point.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Burl, if you have a water proof glue over there, such as Cascamite? Mix it with Bird cage sand , which is very fine. do this dry. Then use an old tea strainer and sprinkle the mix over a dampened former.

The dampening agent can even be mixed Cascamite, double the strength.

Cascamite is a powder glue that you mix with water, it used a lot in boat building. Very strong when cured.
Rod

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rod: I've never heard of Cascamite. Do you happen to know if it has a US analog?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts