G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or heard anything about the Sam's Club Sets which have been sold in the past at holiday time? Just curious.

G

·
0 Posts
asking about this year? the Bach-man said Sams was a no-go for 2008. Bass-Pro has a set for $199. Seems there won't be any Dec 26th "deals" at Sams in the Train Dept this year ;(

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too bad. The locos alone were well worth it. Except for last years piece of junk. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Posted By calenelson on 11/21/2008 5:42 AM
asking about this year? the Bach-man said Sams was a no-go for 2008. Bass-Pro has a set for $199. Seems there won't be any Dec 26th "deals" at Sams in the Train Dept this year ;(

Are the sets at Bass-Pro Bachmann?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Well, I am not suprised about no Sam's Club set this year. After the TERRIBLE review that was given on the Product review forum here last year about last years Sam's Club train. Apperantly alot of people weren't aware of the old addage " if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut." The so called "experts" put that trian down so bad, you would think that Bacmann had made it just to pi** these people off. It was just what it was, A TOY TRAIN for around the Christmas tree. It wasn't meant to be run any other time than that. It also would have been a great way to get more people, young or old alike to get started in the hobby. But if anyone would have happened to come in here and read the review of it given here, before buying it, there aint no way anyone would have went out and bought one. So, I think one of the reasons and probably the biggest reasons there isnt a train at Sam's Club this year is because of what happened here last year. And THESE people know who they are and THEY are the ones to BLAME. CLIFF

P.S.

You should be able to find last years review in the Archives in The Product Review section

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Stumpy

I think the sour economic downturn may be alot more to blame than any of our comments. remember there are also no Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) train sets this year too, which is a first for as long as I can remember, even in the crap economy of the early 90's they still had them.

I also think that if people liked what they saw last year they would have bought them anyway like in years past, now maybe thats a stretch as I have to wonder how many people purchasing the Sam's sets were destine for the Xmas tree and how many were destine for the paint booth! Its possible Sam's over-estimated the appeal a light laden locomotive and cars would have, or maybe there were more far garden railroaders than xmas tree set buyers picking these up every year, the fact that very few members here bought any of these sets may have left alot after Xmas, but did they sell off the remainder after Xmas? I dont recall there being any sales noted.

I suspect they did sell off the set they had last year, despite our ire about light-up bug haulers, but that the down turn in the economy, which was apparent fairly early in the year, led to the decision that marketing a set this year may not have been economicly viable in this economy, so they dropped it for this year.

OSH did the same. And OSH set always sold well. but in telling change, last years set, which previously had always sold for $99.95, were an almost full MSRP of $199.95, twice the price! and not surprisingly they didnt sell well, there were alot left over, but in another change from previous years, they didnt red-tag them on the 26th, instead they trundled them off to a warehouse for this year, and indeed the only sets (only a few) I saw at OSH this year, where the identicle sets from last year, and at the $199.95 price yet again, and indeed they were left overs from last year. I wonder if its also possible that Sam's couldnt get the sets at the same price as previous years, that also could have been a big factor in their bottom line.

Anyway thats my take on it.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
the TERRIBLE review

If I remember correctly, the loco had a row of red and green LEDs along the side of the boiler, which did cause many folk to post critical comments - but not about the train! If you are uying a Christmas train to use on your layout after xmas, then the LEDs were a major problem.

The Bass-pro train looks fine and, if you can get one 50% off after the 25th, then you'll have a bargain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts