G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what it may be worth...

I have come to the conclusion that some of the problems I have run into with MLS when using iPads and Mac's were probably caused by my OS 10.10.3 and iOS 8.3 Safari Pop-up Blockers.

I don't know enough about this to make suggestions or recommendations other than to say that if you are using Apple devices and are having problems with MLS or elsewhere you might want to check and see if your device(s) have Safari Pop-up Blocking turned on or off and if it is ON, you might want to try changing it to OFF and see if it makes any difference.

Apparently the default is to have Pop-up Blocking turned off.

I noticed this primarily when someone left a Private Message for me and the Pop-up notice failed to function properly. It was not a problem as it was still easy to get to the messages and read them.

Jerry

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
For what it may be worth...

I have come to the conclusion that some of the problems I have run into with MLS when using iPads and Mac's were probably caused by my OS 10.10.3 and iOS 8.3 Safari Pop-up Blockers.

I don't know enough about this to make suggestions or recommendations other than to say that if you are using Apple devices and are having problems with MLS or elsewhere you might want to check and see if your device(s) have Safari Pop-up Blocking turned on or off and if it is ON, you might want to try changing it to OFF and see if it makes any difference.

Apparently the default is to have Pop-up Blocking turned off.

I noticed this primarily when someone left a Private Message for me and the Pop-up notice failed to function properly. It was not a problem as it was still easy to get to the messages and read them.

Jerry
Jerry,
I am fairly new to Macs, with a 17 inch, G4 running OS10 Yosemite 10.10.3. Pop-up blockers turned on. I get all my private messages as I always have. MLS doesn't seem to have any problems with my Mac.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Admittedly, I am running an earlier OS, but have always had the 'block pop-up windows' turned on and never had a problem, BUT maybe the newest system is different.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jerry,
I am fairly new to Macs, with a 17 inch, G4 running OS10 Yosemite 10.10.3. Pop-up blockers turned on. I get all my private messages as I always have. MLS doesn't seem to have any problems with my Mac.
Hi Gary,

I bought my severe autistic granddaughter an iPad when they first came out. Somehow it clicked with her so now when her un-breakable warranty (AppleCare+) expires I buy her a new one and trade with her for her old one. So far Apple has replaced 2 for her and 1 for her dad plus her mother's cracked iPhone.

One by one my IBM's with Windows XP died so I replaced them with Mac mini's & MacBook Pro's but programs like RR-Track only work with Windows so back came Windows.

I used to be very competent with PC's from 1982 DOS & Windows up until I retired 1-1-00 but that competence is long gone. I do know that there have been many changes both in iOS and in OS operating systems as well as in Win 8.0 & 8.1. I have unlimited 24/7/365 telephone support with Apple & it took MS 5 days to finally update my last Win 8 to Win 8.1.

All I know is that they all have different problems but most folks don't have any problems so in the absence of problems I would not not give it a further thought.

You could say that I unintentionally court problems because of the way that I mix & match hardware & software. Too little to be proficient & too much be an amateur. Sort of the way I play with toy trains.

I was unaware Safari even had a Pop-up Blocker and have run Safari on multiple iOS & OS devices with it turned on for years with no problems.

It.appears that I am one of very few who have run into (infrequent) problems with MLS. Usually it was with an iPad. My problems were real but they are also rare.

FYI - iOS 8.3 & OS Yosemite 10.10.3 promise to be the best & finally iOS is starting to be somewhat compatible with OS. Unfortunately older iOS devices (like my iPad 1 & iPhone 4) cannot be upgraded.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I thought it was Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions – on a sesame seed bun.

I used to love them, but then I found out the sesame seeds were the cause of my severe headaches the day after I ate one. All I can have at Mickey D's now is the double-cheese burger.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Just poking a bit of fun.

Safari is not popular, i.e. it's not in the top 3 browsers used worldwide. I'd start using firefox on your Mac .. Mac :)

take a look at the statistics:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers#StatCounter_.28July_2008_to_present.29

There's more plugins and extensions for FF, and you can run things that whitelist MLS but still stop popups on other sites.

Regards, Greg
Greg,

Thanks for the tip about Safari. I'm new to Macs and learning something new at 71! :)

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just poking a bit of fun.

Safari is not popular, i.e. it's not in the top 3 browsers used worldwide. I'd start using firefox on your Mac .. Mac :)

take a look at the statistics:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers#StatCounter_.28July_2008_to_present.29

There's more plugins and extensions for FF, and you can run things that whitelist MLS but still stop popups on other sites.

Regards, Greg
That may be true but at my age and with my poor memory it is the dumbed down iPads, like LGB's MTS that appeal to me.

I don't know if I could talk to those other browsers or not but I do know that I don't like Windows or MS.

What I do know is that my telephone works a lot better than my WiFi and I can pick up the phone 24 hours a day seven days a week and talk to Apple tech support about any possible question I might have about any Apple hardware or OS that I have under AppleCare+. Once that expires (two years for iOS - three years for OS) it is as if the hardware vaporized. OS support is far better than iOS support and Server support is better yet.

The truth is that I have not needed a real computer since the day I retired on 1-1-00.

I have no idea if Firefox would work on a Mac. I doubt it but it doesn't matter anyway because Apple didn't make it so Apple Techs won't support it.

Communications triumphs capabilities (for me anyway).

I don't even recommend Apple. I just buy it and use it.

All my Mac's have i7's but that's just to make X-Plane work better. ;)

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's funny. After posting I happened to look at the links and saw the reference to Chrome. As it happens I have and occasionally use Chrome on the iPads and Mac's. It came when I got Chrome Cast to make Smart TV's out of my dumb TV's.

It works well with the iPads & Mac's but Safari seems to work better for me perhaps because of the assortment of monitors & TV's I use.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Jerry, Firefox is available for the Mac... I would not have recommended it unless it was true and possible.

Chrome will also probably work for you better than safari.

Safari used to be very popular, mainly because it was the only alternative on a Mac.

Regards, Greg

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have nothing against Firefox I used it years ago but I just happened to prefer Internet Explorer to it (familiarity).

I thought perhaps Chrome would work better with MLS than Safari with an iPad but my most recent glitch (today) had the exact same glitch with Chrome as it did with Safari.

This glitch had nothing to do with pop-ups as a matter of fact I checked and I found that I forgot to turn off the pop-up blocker on this iPad.

The important thing is that very few MLSers are having any problems with their iPads and Macs. This appears to be much ado about nothing (nothing important anyway).

It's time for me to go back to playing with the toy trains.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts