G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was attempting to run my ruby forney around bachmann track and it wont go.  Apparently the way I attached the rear truck has made it impossible to go through anything smaller than a 5' radius.  Have any of you encountered this problem?  If not - great! - how did you attach your truck? 

And just for kicks, does anybody have a ruby they are looking to sell?

Matt

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Matt, I'm not sure what radius B'mann track is, but I run my Vance Bass ruby forney around a 4 foot radius track. It wouldn't go around at first. Where the rear truck mounts to the brass sqaure stock, I took a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and turned the mounting hole into a slot to allow the truck to slide from side to side. I can't take credit for the idea, it was Vance's. 

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Bachmann track is 2' radius. I know a stock ruby can make these curves but Im not sure on forneys. Thanks for the tip.
Matt

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I see that the new Accucraft Ruby based Forney (www.accucraft.com/products/AC77050-FORNEY.htm ) is advertised with a minimum radius of 48 inches. A two foot radius might be hard to do. Remove the rear truck and see what kind of swing / overhang you have when it's on the curve to see if it might be feasable. The slot I cut in my Ruby's truck mount is about 1/2 inch long, but there is room for a longer slot.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Unless the tender on your Forney is VERY short with a two wheel truck, I don't think you will have much luck running on 2 foot radius curves. The overhang gets really bad and the truck would need an extreme amount of side travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts