G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After languishing in my workshop for nearly a year my much modified Accucraft Ruby is back in service this week. The trucks under the tender had a nasty habit of collapsing due to the weight of the water tank, pump and batteries. Despite brass bushes in the axle boxes and packing washers to reduce side play the plastic frames were simply not up to the job. I could not find any suitable brass trucks and so I made my own.

This is a photograph of the first completed truck with the bending jigs and part ready for the second one.


Clear blue sky today was the ideal opportunity for a test run and to film the return to service.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GSnZx42rrE

The second half of the film features my first venture into 1:32 scale with a rake of MTH passenger cars and a pair of F3 diesels. I am very impressed with the cars, but the diesels still need more work. I have made a temporary conversion to battery power, but the battery pack I am using is not of sufficient power. Hopefully a more effective source of power will be sorted out in the next few weeks.

David
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
David, That is a great looking truck! I really like your jigs for making the parts. Do they compensate for spring back or do you just tweak the parts during assembly? I am presently using a plastic truck on the tender of my live steam Mason Bogie, I hope I don't have your problem. It only contains the fuel tank and the RC battery so maybe I will be OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winn
Thanks for your comments. The bending jig was cut to the final shape required. I did not have any means to allow for spring back. In the event there is very little, but I pilot drill the arch bars while they are still in the jig, so that the whole assembly then pulls together as intended when bolted. I think the weight issue was the combined effect of the water tank, three batteries and the water pump, so hopefully you will not have the same problem.

Jason

Also, thanks for your comments. The axle boxes were machined from 1/2" brass bar on my CNC mill. I make a set of 8 as a single job, starting with cutting the holes for the axles and bolts and finally shaping the face and parting off. It is quite a long job and uses three different cutter sizes, the smallest being 1mm which obviously needs great care and a very steady cut.

Regards

David
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top