G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Ruby #5.
The first runs did not go so well, turns out I had a stuck pressure relief valve, so I got the pressure way too high. Accucraft quickly sent me a new valve, and all is well, though I am still running it with the dome off to watch the valve. 8^)

My main problem is that the little guy is way too fast. I understand that there was an Accucraft mod to change the cylinders. Is there any easy way to tell which cylinder I have now to know whether I should get the mod?

Also, I seem to have steam leaking from the cylinder around the seal. Is this normal? Could the excess pressure have blown the gasket? I haven't worried too much, since I figure this would just slow it down a bit.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If you got it new, it probably has the larger 1/2" cylinders
It will go too fast with no load on it. try it with three or four cars on it.
You can also try turning the throttle down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I got serial number 100 and it was made many years ago - which is why I am asking if there is an easy way to tell.

I have not yet tried running with cars since I got the working pressure relief.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Most all the Ruby's need a load to tame them, along with RC control if you enjoy that part. There is a company that sells over on that auction site that has a special machined bracket to mount 2 servos in the cab. Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts