G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody has an overview of rolling stock, produced by Samhongsa for Row & Co? These cars are very beautiful an detailed, but hard to find, especially here in Germany..
Does this company still exist?.

best regards
Peter

·
Super Modulator
21,223 Posts
No, out of business a long time ago.

Last seen at that famous train shop in Santa Clara I cannot remember.

$13,000 Big Boy, and I think streamliners too..

Greg

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Mr. "Evil Bay" Al Kramer/ Anna Kramer, is selling some of this stuff right now unless it's already gone!! See if I can find it for yu and post it!! Naw, it's already either sold or he pulled it for no sale. You can email him he (if it doesn't sell) will repost it later, prolly didn't sell it was in the 1000.00 range +. He comes back with it later uses words like last one left we only have one left, you know stuff like that to draw ya in. He's like the weather here wait 20 mins and it'll change!! Had RDC's at $176 been bouncing between $184 + shipping and free shipping on different prices everyday. I once waited 12 hrs. (cause I was not feeling well, and when I saw his note last one) i went back in and purchased it for $100 less than 12 hrs. before, on the hurry and buy now and or urgency factor!! Regal

Here's a whole page 20+ items listed on "Evil Bay" now

samhongsa items - Get great deals on HO Scale, ajin items on eBay.com!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Does anybody has an overview of rolling stock, produced by Samhongsa for Row & Co? These cars are very beautiful an detailed, but hard to find, especially here in Germany..

best regards
Peter

Peter,
I've heard from two reliable sources Wendell Row suffered a stroke several years ago and the company has been dissolved. When 4014 (Big Boy) came to Ogden, Utah last year our club offered to help entertain the crowds. We took a Row Big Boy to put on display. The Row fascinated a huge crowd and was a second center of attention. Our engine now sports a second water tender discreetly signed by the engineer, We are hoping for a big enough layout as we now have over eighty PFE cars to put behind.

·
Super Modulator
21,223 Posts
You are responding to Peter? He wrote that post TEN years ago. And he has not posted at all for TEN years.

I guess you wanted to let us know about your Big Boy, so perhaps it isn't a total loss, how about some pictures?

Greg

·
Registered
1 Posts

best regards
Peter
Peter

Row and Co. made a UP Big Boy, UP Challenger, SP Cab Forward and an ABA PA diesel set in various paint schemes (mine are UP) As far as cars go, they made a set of five Santa Fe steel reefers each in different paint and an SP (or UP) caboose. They may have made others, but I have never run across any more.

I am fortunate enough to own each of the above.

Bill Box

·
Registered
157 Posts
These ROW & Co cars are some 1.9 Kg; similar J&M metal cars are 1.4 Kg while MTH plastic cars are 1.2 Kg.

Seeing again the picture I posted I noticed that is shows a good (almost complete (without ASTER and Leech)?) history of nineteen-eighties USA Gauge 1 1:32 items. The locomotive is a DJH for Gauge One America product, the stockcar is Row & Co, the boxcar is J&M Models and the caboose is Fine Art Models:

All gone but not forgotten ;)
Regards
Fred

·
Super Modulator
21,223 Posts
The prototype stock car weighs 41,000 pounds from the data on it. At 1:32 that would scale to 1.25 pounds. Fully loaded capacity appears to be 90,000 pounds, which would scale to 2.74 pounds. So that totals to 3.99 pounds, and your model at 1.9 KG is indeed 4.188, really close to a fully loaded prototype. (actually overloaded)

I don't think you would want to pull a 100 car train of those, but they sure look nice.

Greg

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
You are responding to Peter? He wrote that post TEN years ago. And he has not posted at all for TEN years.

I guess you wanted to let us know about your Big Boy, so perhaps it isn't a total loss, how about some pictures?

Greg
Greg,
I'm sorry to take so long to respond. I had a serious fall from about one story that resulted in a concussion. With the recovery time I'm behind on everything. To make things worse, I'm a clutz when it comes to computers so please be patient with me. By the way those 80 PFE cars are AMS not Row. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear (but who has 80 Row PFE cars) I do have a photo of the Row Big Boy on the cow catcher of the prototype, but it's not that fantastic a photo. Currently I'm traveling, when I get home I'll try to add something. I'm looking for a Row Cab Forward with the cab number 4274 but not having any luck.
Brent
PS I was told Dr. row passed away two years ago. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Peter

Row and Co. made a UP Big Boy, UP Challenger, SP Cab Forward and an ABA PA diesel set in various paint schemes (mine are UP) As far as cars go, they made a set of five Santa Fe steel reefers each in different paint and an SP (or UP) caboose. They may have made others, but I have never run across any more.

I am fortunate enough to own each of the above.

Bill Box
Bill,
I'd love to see a photo of the Row steel caboose, you are very fortunate
Brent Groth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts