G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still have some fine tuning but it works good.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
That really looks terrific. Will you be keeping your locos stored in the roundhouse? If so, do you have a way to close it off and lock it?

Llyn

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Here a closer look ron roundhouse. I visit ron layout last weekend!

(resized to max 640 pixel width, SteveC mod.)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
here another photos of ron roundhouse.

(resized to max 640 pixel width, SteveC mod.)

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lynn, plan to cover in winter and will bring in engines. Bryan, we enjoyed having you and your Dad visit.

G

·
0 Posts
Ron,
All i can say is SWEET MY MAN SWEET....:cool: nice job...how many steamer you got any way?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif
Nick

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's really looking good Ron. I could spend all day just moving the locos in and out of the roundhouse. I would have to take out trees and level with a bulldozer to put one in that large. But I can always dream... ;)

Paul

·
Registered
116 Posts
Beautiful is the best word to describe your round table. Is it manually rotated? How do you line up the track with the turntable and keep it fixed while the engine moves on and off? I am building a 36" size that will be manually operated. I still have not decided how to lock it in position.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big John It is powered by USA engine motor with gear reducer to chain drive. The turntable is controlled by transformer alongside of roundhouse but will be hooked to battery when done. It doesn't move with moving from track to track.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Stunning /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Beautiful roundhouse and turntable, they look very realistic.

Posted By Big John on 07/11/2008 10:00 AM
How do you line up the track with the turntable and keep it fixed while the engine moves on and off? I am building a 36" size that will be manually operated. I still have not decided how to lock it in position.

BigJohn, our turntable is operated manually. Line it up with the tracks and run the locos off and on. The turntable came with locking posts, but these were a pain to use. Found it was a lot quicker turning and lining it up manually. The turntable stays lined up pretty well while the locos run over it, but holding it in place helps too. It also has stop pins underneath that prevent you from spinning too much and breaking the track power wires underneath. Since we run almost all battery powered locos, we took the pins out so the turntable can spin without being impeded.

If you are interested in the locking posts, you might want to contact Fall Creek Railroad Structures (manufactures of our turntable). They usually advertise in Garden Railways.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
That is spectacular without doubt. A guy could have a lot of fun just being the hostler for an opreating session. Since I love operation a functioning engine terminal is very important to me. Also where better to display a roster of locomotives?

Great work Ron!

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Cool Ron
Practically, how do you turn the locos on/off when changing them out?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Marty, jumper wires right now till I get further along still working on it.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
"Run to the Roundhouse, Nellie He Can't Corner You There!"

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also run battery power so I don't need to run power to the turntable or engine house tracks. I think I will just try your suggestion Foreman and see if the turntable will stay in place when the engine moves on and off. I guess a little bit of friction in the center pivot would be a good thing to keep the turntable stable and eliminate movement during use.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts