G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Rocky's 2-10-2 Q2 class project

17K views 74 replies 24 participants last post by  Bob Pero 
#1 ·
Some would say this project is LONG overdue.
I'm just starting to get set up to build this next monster. The Mallet is on the way as to build the drive and platform to build this beastie. For now all I have to post is a couple prototype pictures and a informative diagram of the locomotive. GReat Northern had 15 of these heavy duty freight locos, most used on the Superior division of Minnesota. Most of these locos were built in the Superior shops using older P-1 Mountains. The diagram has the info on the prototype, but these locos had sooo much tractive effort that they were actually wearing and tearing up the railhead in some cases. So these locos were later limited to 35 MPH speed limits to reduce rail damage. Most of these locos on the Superior division were used on the Iron range to haul ore loads to Superior to the docks on Lake Superior. I have 137 MDC GN ore cars to pull with this loco. Ok, enough history, now the diagram and proto photos.

Photos of GN Q-2s are rare, but I have found 2 of them.
The second one is not the greatest of quality, but it's all I got of the Fireman's side for now.

So that's all for now. I'll be getting the building table set up in the livingroom and start getting all
the parts ready to begin the build. Anyone that has Bachmann spectrum steamer cab interior details - ie: valves, piping, hinged firebox cover, please contact me if you want to sell them or trade for other parts . I will need these parts to detail the inside of the cab. More to come as I start the build !!!

Rocky

See less See more
#9 ·
Alas, the mallet has shown up, let the building begin !!!
[/b]
I've dragged out the roll around table and have started to look thru my parts boxes.
I'll still need Bachmann spectrum cab details AND I'll pay good hard CASH to get them too.
So soon I should be starting and pictures will be put up daily/nightly as work progresses.

As far as I know, all the Q-2s were oil burners. most if not all -2,-3 or -4 GN steamers were oil burners.
Only the early steamers were either wood(really old) or coal fired. GN had alot of oil resources in ND and MT to
accomidate them and not much for coal. I already did a couple oil bunkers in my tenders and will convert the rest of them when I get time

As far as the UP question goes, I only model the GN and NP plus a little "Q"

So stay tuned, things will start happening

Rocky

#15 ·
Tonight's plan of action is to work on the drive. Sorry, no pictures yet. But I have drawn out the placements and modifications of the driving rods.

I have the #2 drive partly disassembled and ready for cutting. I also bought a nice bast**d file today to
file down the main drive rod sections to connect axles 3 to 4 and move the original last driving rod over to
axles 4 to 5. So I hope to have the drive finished tonight. Then I will post pictures in my next installment

I will be shooting pic.s as I go along in my work as I did on the 4-8-2 project.

Rocky

#17 ·
Ok a couple pictures from last night.
THe drive is close to being done. I stopped work about 3 AM due to being so tired.
But this is what the drive looked like during the splicing.

This is what it looked like after hooking up the drive rods.

So today I will be fine tuning the drive and starting the prep to build the modified Pacific frame.
More yet to come.

Rocky

#19 ·
Nice work Rocky!

What glue did you use? I was not really successful with JB Weld, or epoxy.

Also, before you button it up, you might check for continuity between each driver and the "bus bar" on top. The last brand new mikado brick I checked had 50% of the drivers with bad conductivity.

The ball bearings do not conduct! Aristo is using "hybrid" ball bearings on the axles, and the ceramic ball bearings do not conduct, so the little spring and ball riding on the axle move all the current.

Check my "prime mover basics" under the ARISTO motive power section:

http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mai...r-mainmenu-72/prime-mover-basics-mainmenu-256 [url]http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips-mainmenu-35/aristo-motive-power-mainmenu-72/prime-mover-basics-mainmenu-256[/url]

#21 ·
No glue you guys
The last axle is fastened to the existing block with a couple plates and a few screws in a triangular configuration

to allow the last axle to pivot or swing just a bit
This way it allows the loco to make those 10 foot and maybe, short sections of 8 foot curves. Here is a couple photos of the splice plates.

I just couldn't resist using the top plate on an Aristo switch machine to do the job.
It just seemed to be appropriate to use

More to come, but it's back to work for me. That is, non train work

Rocky

#22 ·
This is just an update.
I've been just playin' around with starting a frame as well as removing extra parts off off the mallet.
Looking at pictures I have and a little consultation with another member, I will be using a Lionel shell to
make the Belpraire firebox. So now I need to find a Lionel LS 2-4-2 shell as well as the large sanding dome
off of an Aristo 0-4-0. So here is where the loco is at the moment.

More to come !!!
Rocky

#24 ·
Quick post. I've done alittle work ahead of the scheduled plan and while fightin' this cold bug, I did a little working on the front of the boiler.[/b]

What I did first was to remove the front of the smoke box off of the mallet, then cut off the one on the pacific and fill the hole
with the mallet smoke box door. Then temp. mounted the air pumps from the mallet on the pacific shell and the class lights from
the mallet on to the top of the pacific boiler shell. I will be changing out the lenes in the lamps later. THen I costom reworked the
mallet headlight and mounted it to the front of the boiler.

Like I said, this is just a "fitting" of the mallet parts. I still have some adjustments to make and the smoke box to paint
B-4 final assembly. This is the 2nd pacific frame and I will need to cut it down and mount it to the drive. The other frame I
used was un-usable because it had no walkway. another frame (back half) is on the way down, so it won't be too long
B-4 the lower frame is complete and upper shell work can start. Also, the Belpraire firebox will be made out of a couple
Lionel LS atlantic shells of which, one is on the way also.

Still more to come

Rocky

#25 ·
Slowly but surely, work keeps progressing

The slow progress is due to awaital of parts that I've ordered or am trading for. Some of those parts arrived today.
This would be the other rear pacific frame with circuit board. So I shold be able to splice and complete the lower frame tonight
and get the rear trailing truck installed also
I've started to add some of the details to the boiler as you've seen in my previous
post, but I did the large sand dome, adding the filler caps and the "tool box" to the front porch area just under the front of the boiler.

As you can see, there is a nail file proping up the front of the boiler on top of the steam chest.
So tonight's other challange will be to right this problem and also to bolt the lower frame to the drive unit. Another thing I will need to do
will be to start sanding off the molded on piping to get the boiler preped for painting when the time comes. The prototype locos were all
black boilers with light gray or silver colored smoke boxes. Not all GN steamers wore the older Glacier green colored boiler jackets

Well I guess I need to get back to it and keep the work a goin'. Hoping for UPS to bring me a couple large boxes with my 2 bay hoopers.
Bit it's the postman I'm looking for. He'll have the Lionel atlantic I'm waiting to get my paws on to cut up the boiler for this beastie

Still lots more progress to come....

Rocky

#26 ·
Once again another update
[/b] Just taking my time and waiting for more parts as I do the build.
Yesterday, the other half of the frame came in and I spliced it onto the existing frame.

Then I cut the extra screw lengths this morning and then cut the shell to it's proper lenght awaiting the Lionel atlantic shells to do the Belpraire firebox. All this is fun, right ?!?

As you can see, I made a custom GN style sanding dome to go with the other modified dome.
Next I did some more cuttin' and modified the bottom of the firebox as to duplicate the prototype.

It still needs some smoothing out work and note the modified Aristo Pacific trailing truck. I changed out the wheelset and cut down the height of the truck assembly to clear the modified firebox. It to needs to be mounted on the firebox bottom.

Other than that, I added a bell and whistle to the boiler in the appropriate spots.

So next will be the filing off of all molded piping. I removed the safety valves to be mounted later in the correct spots on
top of the Belpraire firebox along with a bunch of other parts.

The project is moving right along

Rocky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.