G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some would say this project is LONG overdue.
I'm just starting to get set up to build this next monster. The Mallet is on the way as to build the drive and platform to build this beastie. For now all I have to post is a couple prototype pictures and a informative diagram of the locomotive. GReat Northern had 15 of these heavy duty freight locos, most used on the Superior division of Minnesota. Most of these locos were built in the Superior shops using older P-1 Mountains. The diagram has the info on the prototype, but these locos had sooo much tractive effort that they were actually wearing and tearing up the railhead in some cases. So these locos were later limited to 35 MPH speed limits to reduce rail damage. Most of these locos on the Superior division were used on the Iron range to haul ore loads to Superior to the docks on Lake Superior. I have 137 MDC GN ore cars to pull with this loco. Ok, enough history, now the diagram and proto photos.




Photos of GN Q-2s are rare, but I have found 2 of them.
The second one is not the greatest of quality, but it's all I got of the Fireman's side for now.







So that's all for now. I'll be getting the building table set up in the livingroom and start getting all
the parts ready to begin the build. Anyone that has Bachmann spectrum steamer cab interior details - ie: valves, piping, hinged firebox cover, please contact me if you want to sell them or trade for other parts . I will need these parts to detail the inside of the cab. More to come as I start the build !!!

Rocky
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,716 Posts
You'll run this on your new tiny layout, or are you also announcing plans to expand the layout?

What a cool loco!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
189 Posts
Rocky,
Great project. What are you going to use for drivers???? I have thought about building a UP 9000 in 1/32nd scale using Arito
mike drivers and build my own frame and gearbox using Berry's (BBT) gears.
Keep us posted.
Rodney
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alas, the mallet has shown up, let the building begin !!!
[/b]
I've dragged out the roll around table and have started to look thru my parts boxes.
I'll still need Bachmann spectrum cab details AND I'll pay good hard CASH to get them too.
So soon I should be starting and pictures will be put up daily/nightly as work progresses.

As far as I know, all the Q-2s were oil burners. most if not all -2,-3 or -4 GN steamers were oil burners.
Only the early steamers were either wood(really old) or coal fired. GN had alot of oil resources in ND and MT to
accomidate them and not much for coal. I already did a couple oil bunkers in my tenders and will convert the rest of them when I get time

As far as the UP question goes, I only model the GN and NP plus a little "Q"

So stay tuned, things will start happening


Rocky
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, here's the first picture as I get ready to start proforming surgery.



As you can see, both locos are GN, Imagine that
Not much to add, watchin' the hockey game. More later !!!

Rocky
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No Marty,
Your just chicken to cut up a steamer
I've had a couple sucesses out of 2 trys and the last one was an award winner

This one will be a killer and may tear up some rails with it's traction and weight on drivers


Rock
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,626 Posts
Yea, that 4' dia stuff may not handle it. heheheh
I looked over your sale items but nothing I needed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tonight's plan of action is to work on the drive. Sorry, no pictures yet. But I have drawn out the placements and modifications of the driving rods.

I have the #2 drive partly disassembled and ready for cutting. I also bought a nice bast**d file today to
file down the main drive rod sections to connect axles 3 to 4 and move the original last driving rod over to
axles 4 to 5. So I hope to have the drive finished tonight. Then I will post pictures in my next installment

I will be shooting pic.s as I go along in my work as I did on the 4-8-2 project.

Rocky
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,716 Posts
"So look. It says right here, coarse ba*#ard. So it's you who owes me an appology!" -- Red Green
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok a couple pictures from last night.
THe drive is close to being done. I stopped work about 3 AM due to being so tired.
But this is what the drive looked like during the splicing.



This is what it looked like after hooking up the drive rods.


So today I will be fine tuning the drive and starting the prep to build the modified Pacific frame.
More yet to come.

Rocky
 

·
Super Modulator
Joined
·
22,217 Posts
Nice work Rocky!

What glue did you use? I was not really successful with JB Weld, or epoxy.

Also, before you button it up, you might check for continuity between each driver and the "bus bar" on top. The last brand new mikado brick I checked had 50% of the drivers with bad conductivity.

The ball bearings do not conduct! Aristo is using "hybrid" ball bearings on the axles, and the ceramic ball bearings do not conduct, so the little spring and ball riding on the axle move all the current.

Check my "prime mover basics" under the ARISTO motive power section:

http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mai...r-mainmenu-72/prime-mover-basics-mainmenu-256 [url]http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips-mainmenu-35/aristo-motive-power-mainmenu-72/prime-mover-basics-mainmenu-256[/url]

 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top