Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5.0 mag, according the USGS site, epicenter 1 mile north of San Bernardino

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple quick jolts then some long rolling for a few seconds, at least here in Pasadena.

How was it it Moreno valley? Anyone else feel it?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
More like rumbles and shakes. Launched the puppies out of my lap!
By the time I got the laptop off of my lap and got up from the chair it had stopped. Real exciting!!

Becky

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
The man who is renting my cabin in Wrightwood, CA(not too far N of Highland), has guests staying with him from Paris. I guess they had a rude awakening! Stories to tell when they get back to Europe!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Heard that on the radio.

Like many in Illinois, I thought it was a wind blowing last time we had one.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Downgraded the shaker to a mere 4.5, but there were 2 moderate quakes down on the border this morning, anyone else getting a little nervous these might be prequels to something a little bigger???

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Most times these little quakes are just releasing energy that otherwise would build up to a bigger quake. But sometimes they're transferring pressure from one part of the fault to another, which then triggers a big quake.

If you want scary, google the news about the quakes and other activity in Yellowstone, which could be a precursor to a "super eruption". If it happens it would wipe out 2/3 of the U.S.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Yep...it's NOT good news that Yellowstone is shaking and popping more than normal. In fact, it's real bad news...if it goes, life as we know it ceases.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Eehhh...

I'm old. Life as I knew it has already gone.
My granddaughter is a teener--old enough, and from stock hardy enough, to get on with it. Providing DC is swallowed up.

Les

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember seeing a science show about the Yellowstone supercaldera on PBS, it said Yellowstone would take several decades (maybe up to a century) for the magma chamber to fill, with alot of EQs, geological deformaties, and possibly several smalller eruptions before going supernova, the upshot is that we should have a long warning time before the big one, lets hope so anyways...

·
Registered
758 Posts
yes i saw that too-chilling 

never knew CA would look good compared to Colorado -but when you hear about yellowstone...

just pour a drink and watch the trains-your numbers up when its up

i went through what seemd to me a fairly big one in alaska when i was a legal extern in anchorage, was first quarter of 1980 -the entire building was moving, file cabinets swaying-felt like the deck of a ship in high seas-

the sour doughs who been through previosu quakes, including 64 moved so quickly to exit it was like a cartoon- iwas still figuring out what was happening as i watched

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 01/09/2009 7:56 AM
Downgraded the shaker to a mere 4.5

4.5? I've passed gas more earth shaking than that.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
They keep telling us that New Madrid is going to break loose and flatten everything in the midwest.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Posted By Torby on 01/10/2009 8:16 AM
They keep telling us that New Madrid is going to break loose and flatten everything in the midwest.

You've been watching too much History Channel. All the talk about is doom and gloom. The world is going to end in 2012 one way or another so they say.

Here in Florida, we're waiting for that big hurricane followed by the big tusami. Surfs up!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have little patience with those who predict the end of the world and keep adjusting the date, or searching for reasons, when it does not take place at the time they thought it would.

It is sad that they just are not able, it seems, to get on and enjoy the life that they still have especially when so many loose life through other mens' stupidity or illness.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Gives them something to make documentaries about.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts