G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips for how they did their roadbed? What works the best for you and why? Do you attach your track to your roadbed and if so, how? How do you deal with track expansion and retraction? Do you have any suggestions on keeping your track straight and even? How is the best way to produce grades? Any tools you suggest for making the job easier? Do you know of any good links for creating a roadbed and laying track? Thanks once again in advance for any and all info guys! MLS = #1!

-Will

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok now I'll answer all these questions lol. It is about 260 feet of track (give or take). I live in Tennessee where the temperature ranges from 10-90 degrees depending on the season. I will spend as much money as need be, otherwise I would have just suck with N scale ;-) The railroad will be a permanent part of my property. I was born in Tennessee but raised in Pennsylvania. My astrological sign is Cancer on the cusp of Gemini. My favorite beverage is Pepsi on the rocks. The land is just a grassy back yard but hard clay under the grass. There are no tree roots to worry about. The land is generally flat. Yes I am going to raise it about 3 feet off the ground for easier viewing. It will have a 1% grade and rise a total of 13 inches for bridge/double stack clearance. The railroad will be landscaped. Available space is 75 x 80 feet. I intend on running high speed trains including BigBoy and double stacks. I am also trying to build the layout to accomodate all types of G scale (1:29 , 1:32 , 1:20.3 , etc.) so visitors can run whatever they've got on the layout without having to worry about leaks at the seam. The track will be Stainless Steel Aristo with USA ties and feeders. Split Jaw rail clamps are my chosen method for joints. Which does bring up another question... If I were to leave a small gap when i tighten the rail clamps, leaving one side slightly loose, would it accomodate expansion and retraction? Someone wrote a thread on expansion and said with Stainless Steel it was just over an inch per 100 feet of track. I'm not sure about that one but it seems like it would work. And as always, thanks for the help guys ^^

-Will

p.s. - If I missed any of your questions .let me know ;-P

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.