G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By Engineercub on 12/20/2008 2:52 PM
Does anyone have any tips for how they did their roadbed? What works the best for you and why? Do you attach your track to your roadbed and if so, how? How do you deal with track expansion and retraction? Do you have any suggestions on keeping your track straight and even? How is the best way to produce grades? Any tools you suggest for making the job easier? Do you know of any good links for creating a roadbed and laying track? Thanks once again in advance for any and all info guys! MLS = #1!

-Will

Will it all depends on what you want to do and what kind of soil you have and so many other things. Here in Houston the soil is mostly "black gumbo" with no bottom. What I found works best here is this pvc roadbed sold by Split Jaw. Here is the link. http://www.gardenrailwayproducts.com/

It's expensive, but works great. You can conserve some by using 1x4 hardi plank for the straight sections as long as it is laying flat on the ground. Hardi plank is brittle and will eventually break under pressure. It rains here all the time and is humid so anything made of wood quickly rots away. I use decomposed granit efor the ballast. We have no crusher fines or anything like that here. There are people that just lay the track in the ballast, but they use sectional track. Flex track needs to be fastened down to something. Personally I use Llagas Creek code 250 and 215 track and switches.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.