G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find/ find how to make rivets for my rgs 20's smokebox. i cant use the rivets the rivets that you put on like decals.I,m also thinking someone will know how to easily make them.
Nathan:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Your title said you are not a rivet counter so why are you counting, place as many as you think looks right, because no one else will count them to determine whether you are right or wrong. In fact most of us will not even know if there are any rivets at all on the model, unless you are entering a model judging contest.
This is a hobby, so please enjoy it, because we will all enjoy to see your model's picture's posted on here, and please include pictures of how you have done your rivets, and the completed pictures.
Dennis

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually, im not counting. the problem is there is not even one on the smoke box, so i'm looking for some to add, since i dont care if it is prototypical,.:)

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Nathan,

I assume it is a plastic/electric model, not a live steamer?

Tichy and Grandt Line both make plastic 'rivets' on a sprue. You can cut them off and pop them in a hole, or cut off the heads and glue them where you want them.

Another option is to make a smokebox "wrapper" - a thin piece of styrene or brass that covers the outside and meets underneath. Then you can punch fake rivets in a line along the edges. Do a search for rivets if you want some more advice on the punch.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I'd like to ask why your unable to use decal rivets for the smoke box...?? You didn't say....

Thank you...

Dirk

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
another thing that works good is to take titebond wood glue, place a quarter size amount on a hard surface, take a 8 penny nail or something equivalent with a sharp point, dip into the glue and dab onto the boiler, it leaves a small round looking blob that really looks good.
Dennis

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Or thin the glue some with water or alchy..use in a small syringe..a drop per rivet.
You can study this approach watching the highly detailed warbird modelers detail huge RC model aircraft..exactly how they add rivets to cover a complete plane...hundreds of rivets worth btw..

SD

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to ask why your unable to use decal rivets for the smoke box...?? You didn't say....

Thank you...

Dirk
Dirk,
its because i have no patience for stuff like decalse, and my smokebox is not flat at all, becuse when it was cut shorter, it shattered in the process, and with no styrene, or bress it was filled in with anything i could find, wood glue, sawdust, caulking,and fiberglass resin. so the surface is not level at all, so decals would never adhere even though the smokebox received a TON of sanding.
Nathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts